tore up from the floor up, banged up props.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by brad kilpatrick, Jan 20, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    OK guys I know weve all done it before. scrapped a prop hitting it on something. Did Ya keep it around as a souviner? if so go snap a pic of it and lets see who's got the worst lookin prop!!!!

Here are two I banged up last year!

Attached Files:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I allways wondered why my boat just wants to go in circles.....

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep I have had some bad ones so now I have 3 props 2 spares at all times. That way if and when one is getting fixed I still have a spare.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Brad, them's toe up fer sur ! Did ya find a boulder or what ? I got a beat up prop, but nothing like that.

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    How's your lower unit feeling these days? I thought I was sometimes hard on props but you got me beat there Brad.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    They dont look so bad,take a grinder to'em and they will be good as new!!:) :)

7. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Brad,

I beat the heck out of props, but nothing like that! They can be fixed cheaper than buying a new one. My one buddy gets props fixed and is about half the price of a new one. I will try to get more info on it and get back to ya. (sure you wasn't using your motor for a rotatiller?)

8. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Well guys the one on the left I hit a stump. only had the boat for a couple of days, looking at the Prop and how it broke I feel it was defective from the get go. The marine dealer wouldn't send it to Merc to get analized so I guess I'm just stuck

The prop on the right hit a rock.I've been thinking about taking it down to Midwest prop and see if it can be fixed.

I've got a $280 stainless steel prop on the boat right now and fear for My lower unit's life.....LOL actualy the only place I'm gonna run that one is on lakes this year. I just picked up a new aluminum prop to run on the river. got it out of the bargan cave @ cabelas reg price $137 got it for $50 what a deal!!!! They have three more that will fit My boat so i'm gonna go get more next payday. You guys might wanna go check them out to get a spare or two.

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    That had to make a bad sound! OUCH
    They are right about rebiulding props but the one might have to much hurt to rebiuld. Hang that one on the wall.
    Bill

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Hey Brad

What a mess. Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it.

My new boat has a SS prop and I'm thinking this would be a good time to go get an aluminum one for any "new area" navigating. Not worried about tearing it up on Truman lake, but hoping to hit some new lakes this year and (once I get brave enough) head out on the Missouri for a while. A spare prop just seems like a good idea... Heading over to Cabela's early next week so I'll see what they have in stock...

11. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Marty,
    Heck with My stomach, makes My wallet hurt!!! Be sure to check the bargan cave for a prop. If they have one that looks like it would fit you can take it over to the marine section and have one of the guys look on the computer and make sure before you buy it.

if your gonna be on any of the rivers around KC be sure to pack an extra prop 'cause you never know. sure would hate to ding a prop on the MO. and be floating toward St Louis with no way to get back to the ramp!!!

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i chipped my prop last year but i have a welder here an had it fixed in a bout 30 mins an back on the boat. no major damage yet. knock ,knock, knock on the wood !!

13. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    My god man, thats one hell of an added expense. On another note, Come to my fishing holes and drive around. I could use a little less stumps:p

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    That's a good point. But maybe I'll just make a habit of going upstream from wherever I put in. Worst case, I can jump out and swim back to the truck as I float by... :)

15. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If Ya got good insurance on your boat ,it will cover repairs to your lower unit and stainless props. I ran a stainless prop on all my boats and got along fine on the Missouri River, now Smithville Lake was a different matter, not many stumps in the Mo river to hit,rocks yes but most of the time it was operator error when I got in the rocks with the prop.Stainless props put a little more strain on prop shafts but if ya go alot its not worth the hassle of fixing aluminum props to be able to go when ya want to,besides you will save money on not havin to weld up aluminum props all the time and my deductible was only $100 any way.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I broke a blade off an aluminum prop once.
    I was fishing some stickups, little 1/4" stuff and was motoring out nice and easy when I lost a blade.
    I attributed it to the fact this prop had been reworked before. Actually I had the pitch dropped from a 17 to a 14. I imagine that process weakend the prop.
    It was an old prop that I decided to experiment with different pitches on.
    It wound up being exactly what I needed but instead of buying a new prop in that pitch I used it.
    Dont run one of those props with a missing blade, you'll trash your lower unit.
    If you are spareless break out the wood, as in paddle.

17. fattiresc

fattiresc New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have an ugly one for you. Just got the boat I purchased last summer out of the water. The trim wasn't working so I never saw the prop. Ugghh, real ugly.

Attached Files:

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Now that prop is ugly looking! So how are stainless props on logs that you hit that are floating? I'm pretty good at bending props on logs floating down river while I'm going 30mph.