Tore it up on the Walnut last night!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Aug 7, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    My brother and I hit the Walnut last night and caught 10 channel cat, smallest was around 5# biggest was around 10#. Pretty good night, considering it was still 90 degrees at 11:30 when we left for home! Not to mention the moon was so big we did not even need a lantern.

What killed me is we were fishing in about 8" - 12" of water, using live black perch for bait! It was funny, you could hear the boil in the water of the fish taking your bait, before you knew you had a bite.

Not a single flathead, which is what we were actually after.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sounds like a good night of fishing. And that is pretty shallow. Congrats on the catches.

3. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    Wow,

You are impressing me. I can't wait to get there and start fishing the walnut. I did not figure there would be anyone out fishing with the fair in town. I am excited to be moving there.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like you had a good night even if you did not catch any flatheads!

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Good work Jeff! I hope they taste good!

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    LOL! Wouldn't you know it, we caught the first fish about 5 minutes after we got set, looked in the tackle box, then in the bucket, then in the back of the truck, what do you know.....NO STRINGER!!

We made a little "corral" in the shallow water out of rocks and kept them all in there until we were decided how many we wanted to keep. Since today was a Monday, I did not feel like staying up and cleaning them at midnight, so we turned them all loose. Catching them was the fun part though!

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Yeah, the hole we were fishing in used to be a lot deeper, it is just below a long riffle. We were sitting where the riffle used to end, and the water would get about waist deep. After catching the first two, and hearing the boil the water when they struck, I told my brother we must be fishing pretty shallow. I had shorts on, so when we were done fishing, I waded down over 100 yards, and it was never more than shin deep! I could not believe it! We are going back this week, and moving farther down towards the water that is a little deeper. I think that is where the flatheads are.

8. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like you had a great night. That's a heck of a weight average for any river. The flatheads have to start moving before long. I haven't heard of anyone doing very good lately. Nothing like a summer evening on the river. Did you take any pictures?

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Man, send some of that Karma my way............I resorted to trolling for whitebass today(oh the shame). Great stringer and I bet they made a ruckus in the shallow water, probably sounded like you hooked Moby DicK:lol:

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sound like a great time was had by all congrats on the fish!---------pk powell:smile2:

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin, you said it. That area of the Walnut is pretty good, and does not get fished very much, simply because there is no way to get there without knowing a secret or two, and having a pretty tough 4x4, pretty wooly in one place. My brother caught the 10# channel before he could even get his second pole baited, I knew it was going to be a good night then.

I thought I had the camera in the truck, went to find it and it was not there. Turns out my wife had taken it out before we left to show her Dad some pictures of Brittany we have stored on there.

Last night was a whole different story though! (See other post)