topwater lures ?

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by airdrop, Nov 21, 2009.

1. airdrop

airdrop New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What kind have you used for striper in lakes. Have looked at some videos of lures on youtube that seem to work very good. Also are you creek and river guys using lures as well, thanks for any replies

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    first of all welcome to our club monty. as too your question; i like a zaraspook or super spook top water. if you like fast action and wanna cover alot ofwater throw a rapala clak and rap in the glass goast color. luv it. if you jigging stripers suspended at a dam or something, i like white 3/4 oz bucktails.

3. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    On lakes I like to use a rebel pop-R in silver belly with black back,the magnum with the excaliber hooks is great,work it hard,make it dance and splash to attract attention,hang on! My second favorite is the chug bug or chugbug salt(bigger) by storm. the main thing to me is the design allows you to work them hard and get great action,then slow them down for a few seconds usually triggers a strike. As far as topwater goes,to be honest,I think the design has alot more to do with it than any colors to the fish,all they are seeing is a silouette of something struggling on the surface. Some days they like it harder or softer retreive,play around and find what they want. But I don't do much striper fishing as I have to drive too far and the ones I catch are the landlocked variety,but a predator is a predator is a predator,and something struggling triggers their attack mode. If they or you miss the first strike pop it hard a couple times right away to let the fish zero back in on it then work it a little slower for the second strike.usually the more surface noise(waves,splashes,etc.) the harder you need to work the lure to get the fishes attention.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  4. striper steve

striper steve New Member

State:
    south carolina
    cant go wrong with a zara spook, you can also use wakebaits(makes a big v) on top, try a redfin with a slow steady retrive(you can modify the lure by heating the lip and bending it farther back, helps keep the lure up top). dont be shy about using big lures(big lure=big fish,most of the time). good luck

5. festus

festus New Member

Cotton Cordell Pencil Poppers, Redfins, and Rapala Magnums are probably the most popular topwater baits around my neck of the woods.

6. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Storm Broken Back Thunder sticks are my personal fav. in a black and crome and blue and crome. Reeled slow to, make V wake across the surface. I also uses Super spooks, redfins and pencil poppers. Also a less popular, and Extremly effective lure. a Weightless Fluke. Twitched just under the surface.......

7. jnash75976

jnash75976 New Member

State:
    sc
    DSC03980..jpg

i always use Redfins.

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Exactly!!! almost that time
    chip

9. M Pain

M Pain New Member

State:
    N. Central Pa
    Rapala Super Shad Rap Slow On Top.

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    does anyone have goodluck on cotten cordell rat traps.....the lipless ones? i tear largemouths up with them but hvent got any sripers on em yet...they seem ok for white bass

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i catch somer stripers on rattle baits, especially nightr fishing if its windy

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If they are on top i like a spook or redfin. I'm not a striper fisherman per sey but have caught alot bass fishin. If they come up, i'll dang sure throw at em. A fluke is handy too if they have busted the shad and went back down.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    from a boat i rarely throw top waters i use 3/4 to 1 ounce jigs with a 6 to 8 inch white trailer.fishing from the bank fishing below dams i use a lure called a pencil popper it catches fish and will cast a mile.

14. Auxillary

Auxillary New Member

State:
    Enid, OK
    When fishing top water from a boat the biggest issue I have is with casting distance. The best top water lure I like are Creek Chub Striper Strikes. I like these in the Red Eye variety and the 3.5" and the 4.25". They weigh 3/4 oz. and 1.5 oz. They sink like a rock if you leave 'em, but if you have very active fish, this lure kills them; and you can reach them with a cast because it's a pretty small body for the weight. I've had great luck with these in the Chesapeak Bay before I moved out here to Oklahoma.

Blaine

15. Marks

Marks New Member

State:
    Florence, Alaba
    Below Dams
    For topwater we throw spooks, superspooks, 5-7" Redfins, & Jumpin Minnows. usually in Black and Chrome/white or Blue and Chrome/white. Bone color works well too.

Under water we throw Pearl or smokin shad (anything Grey to black) Superfluke on a 1/2-3/4oz jig head. Steady retrieve with a jerk every few feet. Work the seams between turbines or the edges of current.

In slow creeks I like a Pearl weightless Superfluke. Where I fish the bite is right before and at dark.

I think color is very important. Typically on Flukes my uncle starts with Pearl and I start with smokin shad till one of us starts outfishing the other. Then we go with the better color. I was with a friend once and we were wearing out the 2-4lb fish. He was throwing a Pearl grub and I only had white. He was catching one almost every cast and I would hook up every 2-4 casts. I made him share his grubs with me and we both were catching ever cast. We caught 60-75 fish a piece that day. I've seen my uncles bone color jumpin minnow outfish my white one too fishing the same water.

16. CaptLeo

CaptLeo New Member

State:
    SC
    I, too like the Zara Spook and the Rebel PopR as good topwater lures for stripers (and largemouth). I like the Bullfrog and Coach Dog in the Spook, but I love the RedHead. With the PopR, I like the silver/blue back or the silver/black back. I also do well with my old, original Lazy Ike in coves.

And, although it is not a topwater lure, I have had great luck using the Strike King Bitsy Pond Minnow White/Chartreuse and Ghost. It's a tiny little thing and has teeny needle-sharp hooks, but it's great fun, especially if you fish in clear enough water to see the striper coming at it just as it strikes.