Topsail Beach

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ratkinson, Nov 2, 2007.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Just wanted to drop some questions on you brothers from N.C. I will be vacationing in Topsail Beach the last 4 days of june and 3 days into July.
    Was looking for tips on where to do some decent catfishing in that general area. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. We have a family reunion and the N.C family members are hosting. I'm looking for a little get away with some of those large southern cats.

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Richard,

A lovely place with some good catfishing not too far away. I'm sure some of the local guys will have some really good advice.

I visit inlaws in Hampstead every year.

The best place I know of is Sutton lake, which is a great catfishery, on 421.

Run down 17 to the new I140 and take that to 421. turn right and watch for sutton lake rd on the left side as you go north on 421

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&q=sutton+lake+nc&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks for the tip. I'm mapquesting right now.

4. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I'm from Hampstead myself. The Red drum are really hitting hard now on the island but Sutton lake and the Northeast Cape Fear are within 45 minutes of Topsail Island and they are good for cats.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Northeast Cape Fear would probally be the closest. There is some good catfishing there as well.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Sutton is a dang good lake for channels and flatheads. They can be tough to figure out though. It can be really frustrating with all the snags and such. You'll be there at a really good time to get them though. Just be sure to bring some heavy gear and lock the drag down and horse those fish to the boat. You can't give them an inch or they'll break you off every time. There's just so much stuff on the bottom it's ridiculous. I'm envious of these guys who can actually fight a fish for more than a few minutes.

7. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Yeah I've been reading up on all the supplemental cover thats been put into play there. Thanks for giving me the heads up.

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yeah, it's not really the supplemental cover that you have to worry about. It's all the stumps and logs that weren't removed when the lake was filled. The trick is finding some areas that has some snags, but not so much that you can't get a fish out when you hook them. I've got one spot that has fish always, but you get about 1 out of every 3 or 4 fish out of it. Most of the time you set the hook and they're almost immediately hung. Hit me up when you're down this way and I'll see if I can help ya any.

9. carolina hit man

carolina hit man New Member

State:
    NORTH CAROLINA
    THERE ARE 2 OR 3 WILDLIFE RAMPS ON 50 HIGHWAY AND 53 HIGHWAY JUST OUT SIDE OF TOPSAIL AND 1 OR 2 ON 210 JUST OUT SIDE OF HAMSTEAD I HAVE HAD SOME GOOD LUCK AT THE 1 ON 53 CLOSE TO HIGHWAY 40 I HAVE GOT SOME BIG FLATS AND SOME BLUES THERE

10. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks I'll be sure to try those spots out while I'm in the area.

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I can find 50 on mapsearch . Are 53 and 40 called by other (street) names? Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
  13. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    40 is Intersate 40. To get on 53, you take exit #398. If you're coming east on 40 then turn right on 53 to go toward the river because the exit ramp loops around. You would also turn right on 53 if you're coming west on 40. It would be a good idea to look at mapquest or google earth with roads in view mode.

14. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    If you were to continue east on I 40, the next exit (#408) is highway 210 and if you turn left there and go a couple miles there is a small boat ramp (Lains ferry) just before you cross the bridge. It's like $3.00 to launch there. He has a dock there too. It's same river but farther downstream. Or if you continue down I 40, the next exit is #414, the Castle Hayne exit. This will be further down steam. You would loop around this exit and turn left (Holly Shelter Road). Then turn right immediately after crossing the railroad tracks. Follow that road a 1/2 mile, it will bend to the left and the river is right there. That is where I usually put my boat in.

15. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks for all the help you guys.

16. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey tom is there pretty good catfishing around castlehayne? i have friends there and have fished from the bank there and up at burgaw.also i would like to find someone to show me how to flounder gig this coming summer if u know anyone id appreciate it

17. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Yeah, maybe we can do some flounder gigging this summer. The fall seems to be the best but the summer is good too. We've been slaying them lately. I got one that weighed 5 pounds about a week ago.

I know people that do very well catfishing around Castlehayne. I usually don't fish right there but I put my boat in there and go places. I caught some flatheads over the summer during the day time. I didn't do real good but that's not because the fish aren't there. I'm just kind of new to flathead fishing so it's the lack of experience.

18. jrod79

jrod79 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i would really appreciate the opportunity and ill keep in touch between now and then