Topsail Beach Trip...Less Than 2 Weeks Away

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by ratkinson, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    First let me thank all you NC Fellas who passed along catfishing information several months ago when I first discussed this trip. I have a 5 year family reunion coming up the end of this month. This will be the first real vacation I have taken in about 15 years. This will also be the first time the majority of the family will meet my 2 1/2 year old daughter and my 5 year old son. I had planned to go out fishing with my cousin Mike, in some of the areas you guys told me about, but, it turns out he will only be able to make the reunion events on one day. He has a huge contract he has to work on during that time frame. I can still fish the spots I can drive to, but, no longer have a boat available. I am not going to let this bring me down. Instead I was hoping you guys could tell me what will be hitting on the ocean around the end of the month. I know there are several piers around the area (Topsail Beach) and wondered if you have any suggestions which one would be the best to try, and, what kind of gear I should try to bring. There is some talk that some of the guys are going to try to set up a deep sea trip. Honestly the money that this will take could be better spent taking my wife and kids to do a more family oriented event. Don't get me wrong I would love to do it, but, as a family man I want this to be a great time for ALL of us. I will get plenty of oppurtunity to wet some lines. So if any of you have pier fishing experience let me know what you think would be a good spot to try. I deffinitely have to get out and catch a big slob of a catfish, which I think I can do fairly inexpensively. I am so excited about this trip, an,the oppurtunity to fish some BIG TIME catfish waters. Thank you in advance for the information I know you will pass along, and, thank you for the info you've already given me which I know will make my trip one to remember. One last request would be that you would say a prayer that our travell will be same and smooth.

Richard

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Been some big Pompano being caught north up on the banks from right in the surf.
    If you surf fish try fishing right at your feet. The fish aren't necessarily a 100 yards out.

3. Thenutslanded

Thenutslanded New Member

State:
    Archdale, North Carolina
    i was born and hatched down there and anytime i go down i always go hit the south end of the island with a flounder rig and fish around the coast guard cutter they have docked down there iv caught a good bit of nice keepers down there around the peir that leads out to the cutter and iv always had a bunch more luck catching some nice spanish off the jolly roger pier also and if you got that lil one with take a couple of sabiki jigs with ya and drop em off the end of the pier and youll have a blast just catchin some pin fish if nothin eles is bitein iv even had a few spanish jump on a sabiki rig befor and thats a good fight for ya if your not expecing it to happen but the pompano should be biteing the spanish. Blues were the waves break maybe even a few spots so good luck man and i hope ya have a good time :0a26:

Daniel

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Mark,
    Is a Pompano the same thing as a permit?

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Best of luck to you Richard!!! Looking forward to the reports & pics!!!:wink:

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Looks very similar but just a smaller version.

When you guys are down, if you feel like driving to Sutton Lake there is a nice public dock that is a really good spot for some catfish. Heck, I can probably meet ya out there for the night if you go.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Richard, just dropping in to say that I hope you have a wonderful trip and family reunion. Good luck with the fishing bro, and enjoy our lovely state.

Prayers being said for safe travels and a great time to be had by all.

8. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Topsail beach is beautiful. If I ever break tradition and not go to the OBX for my vacation, it would be to Topsail.

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I'm still working out the details week, but, if at all possible I would love to take you up on that. I'll be there from Junr 28 - July 6. Thr first two days are pretty much packed with reunion events. What night would work out best for you?
    My wife is super cool about fishing, so I really want to try to work this out.

Richard

10. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Richard,

I'll be down in Hampstead visiting family 28th-5th, it's right down the road from Topsail.

Me and Lori and Ralph the beagle will be visiting the beaches, hitting the ICW in a Jonboat and terrorizing the fishes.

If you want to join us for any of those on a day you arent busy, give me a yell and I;ll shoot you my phone number and we can meet someplace.

I even know the way to Sutton lake.:big_smile:

Dave

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dang you are rating. He never asked me to go fishing!

12. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm afraid you might make me sand on that boat in the barn:tounge_out:

Heck, come on down and teach me how to fish , nobody else has been able to get me onto a big one yet:eek:oooh:

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I got left behind this weekend.
    Everybody left last night and today going to Portsmouth island out on the banks fishing for the big ones. They'll catch them too.
    50 pound red drum aren't out of the question but it's roughing it out there.
    No stores, no nothing but miles of beach and only one way to get your vehicle over there. Private Ferry.
    Most folks put together a beach wagon.
    4x4 truck with a slide in camper to run on the beach or I have one friend that buys a midsize schoolbus strips it down, puts a large generator on the front bumper, big sand tires, covered deck hanging off the back, water barrels on the roof, fold down bunks inside. Full kitchen and full bath.
    The whole side of the bus on the outside is a fold down fish cleaning station. When you get to the spot, dig a latrine and pull the bus over the top of it.
    When you go you freeze 5 gallon buckets of water and chip off ice as you need it.

Have seen a new deuce and half with 2 slide on campers on the bed of it.
    Imagine the way it was rigged out he had 200k in a surf fishing rig.

The banks is where its at. Playing gypsy at the beach.
    Sleep during the day , fish at night.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    West bound 40 at exit 339 is closed due to bridge repairs where somebody ran into the bridge or something.
    I dont know how long this repair will take but its been closed all week.
    So there will be a detour. Traffic has been backing up on 40 up to 10 miles.
    Keep it in mind on your return trip. You might want to find an alternate route.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you cut the corner and run 701 I'm a mile off 701 inbetween Smithfield and Newton Grove. Oak Forest Rd.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Don't matter to me a bit. Just let me know what night will work for you and I'll do my best to make it. It's been a while since I've sat on the dock for a night. I'll see if maybe I can get another one of my friends and maybe my fiance will tag along too!