Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Secret 7, Sonny's dip bait, and Junnies Wicked sticky. They all seem to work about the same. I used all three of them in the same area at the same time and I couldn't tell which one worked better. I use 5/0 circle hooks with a 3" strip of scotch Brite on it or a cat tube.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input,now to get the weather to help out.I hope it is not like last year and we have all the high water as it really hurts us.Easier for us to pole and line the deep holes on the river than to chase them around the back water.Good Luck this year John

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
I have found that fish will show a preference to a dip bait at different times, on the same lake. I carry with success these dip baits. Catfish Charlies (Shad), Sonnys (Blood), Wicked Stickey, and Secret 7. I would suggest carrying Shrimp soaked in garlic.

·
Floyd
4,927 Posts
We been using dip baits for a very long time . There isnt much we dont know about it . Sonnies cheese or blood is a great dip bait . We buy it in a 5 gallon bucket . If you can get Secret 7 it works just as well . All the rest work but not as well as the two I have mentioned . Sonnies and Secret will catch fish all spring / summer and fall . They will catch fish when nothing else is working .

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I use secret 7, sudden impact, sonnys blood, and juniles wicked sticky sewer bait.
Catch most of my fish on secret 7, but some days one of the others work beter, its up to the fish to decide

·
Registered
397 Posts
My two go to baits are Sonnys and Secret 7 in that order. The secret 7 holds together best and has got me a lot more bites. But i've landed some of my best and the most channels on Sonnys. They seem to like to play with the Secret 7 but will woof down sonnys. Thats just been my personal experience.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use sonnys blood and some homemade super sticky stuff my neighbor gets from his uncle down in southern Il...All I know is it has peanut butter in it..Couldn't tell from the smell though..LOL It works so I don't ask..ha ha:thinking:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Over the years I have tried most of the dipbaits on the market; Sonny's, Secret 7, Catfish Charlie, Junnies, Magic Bait, Bowkers, etc. I have had my best luck on Secret 7, Sudden Impact, and Sonny's blood, in that order. When the water warms dipbait is hard to beat to put numbers of fish in the boat.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Believe it or not, I've never used dip style baits for catfish. MY grandpa always made his own dough bait from sour cheese he bought in carlyle, dog food, cattails, and i don't know what else. It worked pretty good, but since he passed two years ago I always use cut shad, bluegill, shrimp, and gobs of crawlers for channels. Took a buddy fishin' two years ago and he brought some hog wild and by the end of the day, had that crap flung all over the boat. I prefer not to gag when I'm fishing so I just use what I can catch and it outfishes anything else that I've ever used before. JMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.