Top Soil

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I was doing a little landscaping around the house and needed some top soil to fill in some low places. I went to Walmart and got 20 bags. When I started dumping it out, it didn't look like topsoil to me. More like wood chips and ashes. I looked on the bag and it says "Top Soil, derived from a combination of: Pine Fines, Hardwood Fines, Forest Products, Sand, and Fly Ash". I thought top soil was good dirt. No dirt in this stuff. I bet weeds won't even grow in it. How can they get away with calling it top soil?

2. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    That sounds false advertising to me. last time I checked top SOIL was soilwhich to me equals dirt. How can they even put that on a package that contains no dirt?

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    sounds like something in par with walmart. sorry but i dont like walmart at all wish they would close up here in my town. course so does half the town too.
    yea its for sure misleading if it is soil it should be soil.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    because that will compost very quickly into dirt.

5. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    If it contains sand they call it dirt. My dirt ( NC ) is over 50% sand, but we still call it soil. Top soil is what's scraped off the top with some/few actually, decomposed plant matter.

Don't feel bad. I got stuck at Lowes with the same exact thing. One was called Top Soil and the other was called Potting Soil. The wood chips in the Potting Soil were smaller, other wise, the same thing. At one time potting soil was actually the soil from mushroom farms that had all the nutriants depleated. Back then they didn't add fertalizers. Maybe still don't. But, not coming to their defense, if you want Good/Real top soil or Potting soil you aren't gonna get it for $1 or $2 per bag.

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    LMAO. its that way on many products. Shovel the crap back up and take it back to them. Tell em, where's the dirt. LMAO. Hey they are use to people returning junk. Their return lines is longer than the sale lines. LMAO.
    Then call someone in your area who hauls dirt. Ask em how much a load of top soil is. If you dont need a whole load, get half or take a trailer to them and buy what you need. Good thing about that is you see the dirt. it aint rapped in a bag so you know exactly what your getting.

I had a load brought in a while back and I just take it off the pile as needed.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Hey, Grumpy, I'm curious - where (what country) was this stuff packaged?

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    When I need top soil, I take a pickup and find a nearby farmer who would be more than happy to let me load up the back with some of the soil from his barn/feed lot. That way I know I am getting good, pre-fertilized soil.

9. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Hey, Grumpy, I guess getting junk like that when you pay to get the good stuff you have a reason to be ....Grumpy.... sorry about that, I just had to do it.lol

10. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    It was packaged at Olive Branch Mississippi. I worked at a sawmill several years ago. Black muck similar to what was in these bags would build up on the log yard. I would push it up into a pile with the front end loader and nothing would ever grow in it. That's probably the same stuff I bought.

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Man - top soil is a far cry from what they sold you. I would do like Dano suggested and take it back.

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I do the same sometimes. There is many ways much better than buy the bag at wal mart. Heck I have even got a load from the county when they have cleaned out ditches, adding new drains etc.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Look for people with dirt on hands and under their nails. Those people know dirt. LOL. Go to a nursery and ask.
    Wal mart etc. aint got a clue., but they do know how to make a profit.

13. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Grumpy, you have any Big R stores in your area? I got about a dozen bags of top soil from them back in the fall to cover grass seed in a bare spot and to fill a flower bed and it was the real thing. I think? it was less than $2 for a 40 lb bag.
    Rat

14. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    No Big R but we do have a Rural King. I may stop by there next time I'm out that way and see if I can get a couple bags of real dirt. The stuff I got filled up the low spot, but I doubt if grass will grow in it.

15. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Sounds like you were taken for a ride on that one.From what you gave for the ingrediants it must be acid as all git out.If you put it down already I would suggest that you lime it or nothing will grow in it.I always have a compost heating up in the backyard with last years leaves in it.Even then I add some manure and lime.

BILL

16. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I am an avid organic gardner and building a good top soil is the primary concern. At ground level you have plants and other living matter the keeps soil cool, to contain mosture (dry soil is dead soil) and provide food for other living animals. These same plants send down roots which turns the suns energy into nitrogen which further enriches.Top soil by definition, is decaying matter (dead animals, animal waste and plant matter) on the top level of soil that turned into humus, which provides nutriants to other living matter. Kind of a circle of life! Further down the soil you find clay, salt and lime. There are four main chemical and physical properties that influence topsoil quality: soluble salts, pH, texture, and organic matter. Now most commercial operations after harvesting virgin topsoil, are scraping lower down to make as much money as possible, which is where the top soil ends up mixed with clay, salt, and lime, more of one then an other, depending on your location! Basicly, the less organic matter in your top soil, the pooer quality it is. As for dirt, thats what you find under your fingernails after working with soil!

17. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Went throught the same thing a few years back only my "soil" came from Gerogia. If I remember right it was 80 or 90% pine bark (by law if packaged in Georgia). I was NOT home when this (?) material was delivered and spead, so getting it removed and replaced was nearly impossible. Having grownup on a farm I did know somthing about "manure" or "top soil" to the uneducated. I knew how many Sq. Ft. I had and just added one three pound coffee can of 12-12-12 fertilizer to the surface per 100 Sq Ft. and tilled it under. Wood chips, bark or wood fiber of any kind locks the nitrogen in the "soil" you have to add more so it will break the wood down faster. A better way to work that "soil" is if you know a farmer that has a feed lot and scrapes the area into a pile, beg, borrow or barter a couple of truck loads of that "material" and spread it on top about an inch or so thick and till it under, works wonders. If you don't see weeds sprouting the first few warm days add 1/2 three pound coffee can of 12-12-12 fertilizer per 100 Sq. Ft.

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If we want top soil around here we get it by the truck load because thats the only real top soil in this area. The crap they sell at the home improvement stores isn't top soil at all. It cost anywhere from $40-$150 a load but its worth it usually.

19. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Real topsoil for $2 a bag ain't no dream as Rat was saying. Then again I live in Iowa, and Rat is in Illinois. Maybe it depends on where you live, because with Iowa's rich black topsoil you can just go to any ditch near a farm (which doesn't practice anything to stop runoff) and dig up some nice rich black topsoil (its the farmers loss). You might get some prairie seeds or roots in there though!