Top five places to live in the US if you love catfishing? Where would you choose?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Big Dav, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Hypothetically,
    If you could live anywhere in the country you had lots of time to enjoy catfishing. Where would you want to live?
    I guess this is more than just rate the top five catfishing locations int he US. Where would you move if you could?

I figured this would make for some interesting conversation.
    List your top five (or top whatever) and reasons for that area.

Mine would be as follows:

1. Cherokee Lake in Tennessee - Great fishing for Cats and Striper's and close proximity to several other nice bodies of water. Just always wanted to live in the Morristown area.
    2. Somewhere is eastern VA near the James river - Fishing of course and we have family in the Fredricksburg area. I guess the only real reason would be fishing.:smile2:
    3. Around the distant out skirts of Louisville KY - Fishing and some of Gods most beautiful county in my eyes.
    4. Surrounding area of Charlotte NC - We lived in the area for several years and loved it. Know now to move outside city limits. :big_smile: Great fishing and easy drive to the Santee Cooper area among others. Nice central location might be a good way to put it.
    5. Anywhere but where I live now :smile2: - Very remote area, you have to almost beg people to work, long drive to get anywhere that is anywhere, and the local economy has not been good since the coal boom in the 70's and 80's.:sad2:

Just my thoughts and looking forward to reading yours.
    David

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    WHAT!!!?????

You forgot the absolute BEST place in the US. Where the two BIG rivers meet, the confluence of the Mighty Mississip' and the Mighty Missouri! Right here near St. Louis, MO!

Hey, I am living here. I guess I'm pretty happy right where I am. LOL

Thats a switch!:tounge_out:

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    WHAT!!!?????
    Skipeye,
    I thought about the St Louis area and it would have been 6th on my list. I figured I could drive there from the Louisville area. I have not spent much time in the St Louis area and that was probably why it did not make my list. Sorry you got so offended. Lighten up and just be happy you live in a great area for fishin.

Gotcha.:smile2::smile2::smile2: Skipeye, I was only joking above.:0a33:

Thanks,
    David

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thats a relief! I thought I got somebody P.O'ed again. LOL

St. Louis is a great place to fish foe sure.

Take care.:big_smile:

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I don't Know enough about other places to fish other than where I have already fished. And not trying to hyjack this thread.
    I always wanted to get a houseboat to live on with plenty of money and all the time in the world. Put in on the mississippi River in louisiana and Fish all the rivers flowing into it as I traveled north. Thats my Dream.
    Thats the best I could come up with.

6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I am not unhappy with the fishing were I live . I have the upper Kansas river at my door step. There are three more rivers and 5 lakes with in a short drive. I don't have as big of blues as some , but the flathead and channel fishing is great.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm pretty happy where I'm at. 30 miles to Mark Twain Lake. 50 miles from an array of accesses on the Mo. River. It's a pretty good drive to Warsaw (2-1/2 hrs.), but still reasonable(the fishing ROCKS at Warsaw!!!). Man, there's too many good fishing holes nearby for me to even list. As far as catfishing goes, it just don't get much better in my opinion. 2 hours to the Mississippi. I would love to get aquainted with that river too someday, but there's just so many places to go nearby that I haven't got around to it yet. Come on up...bring your boat.:wink:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Its going to be hard to beat where I am right now.I am exactly half way between Santee and the James.Just a matter of turning left or right and going 200 miles.Not to mention I have the Cape Fear almost in my back yard and the Outer banks of NC within spitting distance.The hard part is deciding what kind of fishing to do!!!!!!I always said the middle of Tenn or Ky probably opens you up to some of the finest fishing of all types from Bass,Trout,stripers and catfish as any location in the country.:big_smile:I was fortunate enough to be stationed at Ft Knox many times and again deciding where to go was the hardest problem.:big_smile:

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    beats fishing oklahoma waters, huh, Darryl?:wink::smile2:

you still owe me an invite to fish those rivers buddy:big_smile:

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I'm pretty happy with the area i live in now. I fish hunt and play golf and can do all three within a short driving distance of the house. I'm not to far from the Oklahoma line and do most of my fishing in Oklahoma.

That being said one of the places that is high on my go to list would be on the James River. They don't even bother getting the scales out for a 20 lb. fish:crazy:.

2nd would be to load up with ole Skipeye and hit the Mississippi or Missouri rivers. A lot can be learned from those Missouri boy's. They take their fishing seriously, but know how to have a good time doing it:wink:.

3rd on the list would be to hit Santee. I've heard a lot of good reports about that lake.

4th would be to go even further north to Iowa and fish with ole Postmortem beetle, shooting fish and drinking beer kind of appeals to me:eek:oooh::smile2:, By the time we started on the second case we would forget all about fishing.

5th would have to be a trip to New JOISY to fish anywhere with ole BG. Fishing just one time with him would have to be a hoot:smile2:.

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Skipeye,
    I just had to mess with you a little. :big_smile:

Like I said your part of the world might have been higher on my list if I had spent any time there. I am sure there are places all over the country that would be high on my list if I had spent time there. I compiled my short list from having limited experience with these areas.

I have lived in several states and even overseas for a short time. Very few of these places were what I would call my kind of place. I liked TN when I lived there and I really like the Charlotte NC area. One of these days (hopefully sooner than later) we will be relocating and I was just thinking about places I would like to live. All I can do for now is just that, think about it. Got me to thinking what others would do if they could relocate to an area other than where they were currently.
    I plan on traveling as much as possible over the next several years (good Lord willing) and by the time we are ready to make a move my top five may be completely different. :roll_eyes::wink::big_smile:

Thanks everyone for the replies and please keep them coming.

David

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Right now if I had a choice to live anywhere else... I wouldn't be interested. I'd stay right here on Lake Hamilton. We also have 3 more nice lakes within 20 miles. Fishing may not be the best but I like it here. :big_smile:

13. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I also like it where I am. An hour to the Altamaha river in Ga. 20 minutes to fantastic salt water fishing. And only about 8 or 10 days of near freezing weather a year. kinda hard to beat...

14. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I'm good right where I'm at too! About 1 mile away from Ky lake and bout 5 miles away from Barkley lake. Right here in Aurora Ky.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Big D you ask a tough question there and are sramblin my egg,I live less than 2 miles from the DesMion ,Missippi and bout ohh 30 from the Skunk.We have exelent fishing around her but I see them boys way south catchin them monsters and Id love to tie into a 60 or 70 lber.As of now I have only caught 25lb for a pb witch is respectable and I know we have them so I dont know this is home...........think I like it here

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I love where I'm at by KC. Got the MO river 15 min. from the house, the Kaw and MO confluence downtown, 4 hours over to St. Louis and the Miss. river and most of those Easties would probably let a guy in their boat if you asked them or at least put you on a good hole if you brought your own boat. If you like still water Truman and LOZ are close. Shoot, Cuz took me and the boy out on the Mississippi and tried to get us on some hogs but all we could come up with was a 72 and a 44:wink:

I would love to go a little further south, maybe around Kentucky somewhere were I had more than one big river real close and skipjacks are easy to come by (FYI, if you try to feel out how a transfer at work to somewhere like Paducah,would go over with the family don't let the first reason to the wife be "a couple of big rivers I've never fished there"), but other than that I guess I'd like to go to South America once and try for some of those big catfish they have in the rivers down that way.

That's the beautiful thing about the BOC, there's probably not a place in the U.S. on any of our lists that isn't a PM and a couple tanks of gas away from fishing with a local guide. :wink:

That would actually be kind of a cool idea, a forum on the board where people posted their dream trips and then you could work out a deal with somebody in another area who wanted to fish your area, kind of like "come on over on such and such weekend, we'll take my boat and you can crash at my place, and then I'll come over your way such and such a weekend and you can return the favor" Good Luck.

Branden

17. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i like it here in the southeat cornner of the state. all the water of the north & the east & west comes here on the mississippi. all big rivers come here. but i do like it at wilson lake, but new madrid mo. is only 25 miles away. so il stay here

18. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    :big_smile:Wow, So it looks like I am the only person on this forum that would like to live somewhere other than where I am. Just my luck, I am the only displaced catfisherman on here.:smile2: We had to move here about five years ago for reasons that were a little out of our control. That plays a huge role in us wanting to leave this area. Kinda a unique situation from the looks of things you guys are posting.
    Thanks for all the replies and please keep them coming.
    David

19. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I'm pretty happy where I am. I am fortunate enough to have the opportunity to fish for the big 3 all year round. We have large, medium and small rivers, large and small lakes, and a really neat power plant lake to fish.

I would like to try Santee Cooper at some point.

20. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i cant believe yall are leaving out south alabama. we have the mobile/tensaw/tombigbee/alabama river delta. plus the bay/gulf of mexico. hurricanes almost never happen, and the ppl here are brilliant.