Top five Flathead Catfish Ohio Rivers per ODNR

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishin' addict, Nov 22, 2009.

1. fishin' addict

fishin' addict New Member

State:
    Ohio
    1 TIE - Muskingum River and Ohio River
    2 Maumee River
    3 Mosquito Lake
    4 Salt Fork Lake
    5 Piedmont Lake

This is was for 2007. Man, The Scioto River isn't even listed in there anywhwere. Is it that my home flathead grounds the Scioto doesn't have as many fish ohio flatheads or that not as many people fish it for them? Or are the ones in there just not that big? Just curious. I figured it would be listed somewhere in the top 5.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wonder if it is based on survey numbers of people targeting on these waters? Or based on fish surveys? I might be mistaken, but I was told one time that scaleless fish are very difficult to shock survey, and usually scaled fish is what they get. Makes you wonder how they would get an accurate survey on these big fish other than anglers catching them to rate each system? rollo

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009

3. fishin' addict

fishin' addict New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think this ranking was based on amount of fish ohio flatheads people sent in applications for fish ohio status on.

4. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Rollo,
    They can be shocked up if they are not deep. The problem is that you have to change the settings on the shock box to make it conducive for catfish. When you do this it doesn't work very effectively for all the other fish they are surveying. Another problem with surveying catfish especially the big ones is that they can feel you coming before they get hit hard enough to come to the surface. Usually they will just swim away out of your effective shock range before you can hit them good. I worked on the Muskingum River a few years back and when we were targeting flathheads and channels we would drive right up to the cover and then turn the power on. This sneak attach worked great. I seen some monster flatheads that summer. Bigger than any I have seen caught. I remember a little log jam up by Coshocton that produced 5 flatheads over 20 pounds (most 30 plus) on one pass. Pretty crazy if you would have seen how little the cover was.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  5. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's pretty awesome.

6. duke1

duke1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    That's some interesting info guys. Now where was that log jam?:smile2:

7. catsncradle

catsncradle New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think it's just that not too many ppl. fish it because of all the body's here in the last few years that have been found. I live almost on the scioto and fish it every now and then. lol

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If that was the ODNR saying top RIVERS and they included lakes......ya gotta question how accurate it is.

I know Salt Fork and Piedmont are VERY good lakes for monsters! lots of bugguns get posted online from Salt Fork. You really don't see a lot of talk about Piedmont though. Maybe that's why the lake is so good for big flatties??

9. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I DON'T BELIVE THERE ARE ANY (BIG) FLATHEADS LEFT IN PEIDMOUNT. HAVE NOT HEARD OF ANYONE CATCHING ONE IN A FEW YEARS.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pretty interesting stuff man. Now me and the loanwizard will be fighting over that logjam!:smile2::wink: Thanks for the info.. rollo

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    TOP PUBLIC OHIO LAKES/RIVERS
    FOR FISH OHIO CATCHES

This list comes from the number of entries sent in for Fish Ohio award pins.
    The total number of Flathead entries was 200. All this set of statistics shows, is that the majority of people that fish these waters are insecure and need to have some kind of official recognition to bolster their self esteem. If they want real recognition, they should join the BOC, then they will garner not only kudos, but friendship, knowledge and the extreme satisfaction of realizing that personal accomplishments shared with true friends, are much better than a cold steel hat ornament. :wink:

12. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    That was harsh. I applied for one of those Fish Ohio Pins back when I caught my first big flathead. That was before the BOC was even around and I still have that pin and little sheet of paper. It meant alot to me back then and still does.

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Trust me Justin, Jack is purely having fun! He meant nothing by it!:wink::big_smile: rollo

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lol, Ive had three of them, they are mere trinkets compared to the warm fuzzy feeling I get from my BOC brothers, saying great job, or nice fish Jack! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im lookin for that log jam also!lol

16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    makes me think that i may need to start targeting some smaller cover and not just the big log jams. i could be missing out on some very valuable fishing opportunity.

17. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wonder if people just got wise out there. I used to read/hear all sorts of things about Piedmont for bass/saugeye/crappie/muskie but in the last couple years the chatter has realyl seemed to quiet down. I never did hear much about big flatties there other than being told they are in there and TCBA on here told me about a video he watched with a guy fishing Piedmont for big cats.

18. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to think I had to fish the largest jams on my local river to get the bigger fish, but for some odd reason, it works opposite for me :crazy:

I know Loanwizard is right on top of the Muskingum at Coshocton, but I'm not far away. I'll let you guys make the mad dash there, I'll just slip the canoe in the Tusc up my way and float down to the spot so I can tease ya when you finally find it with me sittin there :cool2:

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Props for the Muskingum hanging with the Big Mighty Ohio!

Smaller rivers tend to be better anyways!:wink:

20. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I know what you mean. I wish they had the same thing out here in Indiana now so I could submit some of my big blues.