Top Catfishing Spots in Tennessee

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by festus, Jan 17, 2010.

1. festus

festus New Member

To anyone who hasn't seen it already, Tennessee Sportsman Magazine has some good archives on their website. There is plenty of good reading on there. Click here: http://www.tennesseesportsmanmag.com/fishing/catfish-fishing//index.html

According to what I've read, we're all pretty blessed. The tailwaters of Old Hickory Dam rate up there for good catfishing, even in downtown Nashville. Woods Reservoir is probably rated the best spot in Middle Tennnesse for catfishing. Percy Priest ranks up there, too.

I was surprised to see Watts Bar Lake is rated highly. Particularly the tailwaters of Ft. Loudoun Dam on the TN River, which is technically Watts Bar. I am really lucky because I can get there in not too much longer than 1/2 hour. It says the bends in the river near the I-40 bridge downstream from the dam is excellent for giants. It also rated the tailwaters of Watts Bar Dam highly, which is technically Chicamaugua Lake. One note is bank fishing is only allowed on the lock side of this dam. And the tailwaters of Douglas Dam is also very good. Anyone visiting the Smoky Mountians can drive there in less than an hour.

2. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

Maybe that is the reason for my bust yesterday, I was not at any of those places!

3. festus

festus New Member

Well, I hear Gallatin Steam Plant is more of a striper fishery than a catfishing hole. Don, ever catch any good cats below Cordell Hull Dam yet? I knew you were getting some good stripers up there.

Not kidding, this site I lucked up onto this morning has some excellent information.

4. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

No I have never fished for cats there, just skipjack and stripers. And now that I am getting all the skips I need at Gallatin steamplant, I will probably not go to Cordell Hull as much. I herd from some guys yesterday while I was out at Gallatin Steam plant that when they generating the striper fishing is awesome there.

5. festus

festus New Member

That's what messed up my winter fishing. If it hadn't been for all this cold weather, the steam plants wouldn't have generated at all this winter. Plus the fact they're doing some upgrading at both our steam plants. Kingston Stm Plt used to furnish electicity to the nuclear bomb plant on the Clinch River. Now that they're not building bombs anymore, I don't think there's as much demand for electricity.

Have you ever fished below Old Hickory Dam, Don? This time of year isn't the best time, but spring should be.

6. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

No never been there, but may have to try it this spring.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jugger we need to get together and go to woods one day or on up to chic. I love fishing chick. I have caught some good ones out of woods but nothing like chic and nick.

8. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Are we there yet?

9. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    we can take my boat there is room for three.

10. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

Hey Kevin,

How does sunny and a high of 55 sound to ya? Cause thats what its going to be we go fishing on Monday WOO-HOO going to catch some biggens I can feel it in my bones!

And I have plenty of fresh skips ( catfish candy) that has been on ice.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys we can anytime. I don't have another dr appoment until feb 2 so I am good to go. I get my toon checked out good for spring and we can go on it someday. It ain't nothing like going fishing and having a place to cook a bite and making coffee.
    I am retired so when ever you guys want to holler out.

12. bad apple

bad apple New Member

State:
    florida
    i was fishing the tailwaters at douglas dam today,after bout four hours of not a nibble we decided to wrap it up....i had out shrimp and cut mullet..if i was doin something wrong out there i would sure apprieciate some input...

13. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Bubba you aint never had any problems eating the catfish off of Woods?I thought they are suppose to be contaminated from AEDC..Which that was a few years ago when that came out..

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Naw Ricky I ain't had no problem. You get that from eating the big ones. If I am camped up there and want a couple friers I
    keep some sround 11/2 to 2 # for whole frying. Its finally getting its crappie back after the restock a few years ago.