Top 35? should it be scrapped?

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by s_man, May 6, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    With this system in place some fast race cars are being left out. When a Waltrip car qualifies 21st and still doesn't make the race that seems wrong to me. I don't think it would be so bad if Jeff or Tony or Jr missed a race if they couldn't bring a fast car. Even if they scaled it back to the top 12 locked in that would give 31 spots to actually get the fastest cars in each given race. Or at the larger tracks they should expand the field to 50 or so, Like talledega, Indy, Daytona. any thoughts?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I think it definitely needs to be tweaked a bit. Or quite a bit actually. Lots of things in Nascar need to be tweaked or their gonna lose a bunch of fans! It seems this year is the worst year I can remember in the sport. May just be me...:crazy: :roll_eyes: :smile2:

3. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree, and I would like to see the provisionals done away with, I really have been a fan of Jarrett's till he went with the Toyota's, but if you can't make the field, you shouldn't be in the race.

4. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Do away with a lock in for a race at all, qualify for one of the spots or go home, hell the top teams do not even bother with qualifying any more just practice race set up as they are guaranteed to be in the show and with a lot of the impound races like they run know if one of the lower tier teams does happen to get in the race they are at a disadvantage from the drop of the green flag as they do not have the proper suspension set up for a long race. Actually in reality shorten the races to around 300 miles as they actually only race the first 50 laps and the last 50 laps anyway!

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    300 mile races dont last long enough to sell all those hot dogs, all the beer, all the ice, and all the souviners.:smile2:

6. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    So TRUE! Money and profits owns the world of sports in todays times!
    Actually its not just sports is it?

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I think so. It should be scrapped, let the fastest 43 cars race

8. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

I with you Wolfman!
    Ernie

9. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i agree with the fastest 43 each week. then you have a real champion. if you miss a race and still win you are a racer. do not go to under 400 miles on the bigger tracks and 500 laps on the smaller tracks. look at the fans at an irl or champ car race. 300 km. is not much of a race.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    When did this top 35 come into being? Is it a "modern era" thing or did they do it before I was born lol. I thought back in the day that the fastest cars got to race, everyone else went home.

11. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    back in the day they let more than 43 cars race. i still don't see why they have to limit it to 43, especially at the mile and a half and bigger tracks.

12. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    NO GUARANTEED STARTS!

all 43 spots decided by the 43 fastest times...period

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I don't know, to much riding on every race points wise. I would hate to see one of the fastest cars not make it because of blowing a tire on their qualifying run, or something similar to that.

How about this: You can have a provisional like they are currently used, if AND ONLY if your failure to qualify is due to a mechanical failure or problem. Otherwise, you had better push the go pedal!

Racing will never be racing again until they go back to racing true "stock cars". In other words, if Chevy does not offer the Monte, or the Impala in an 8 cylinder production vehicle, than make them race with the 6 cylinder. Same for all makes. The car should "look" like the model it is supposed to be as well. I miss the days of seeing cars go around the track that WE could actually be driving on the freeway!

GO GORDON!!