Top 10 reasons MO River is the best

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by BKS72, Jan 16, 2010.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    1. Most folks are too big of sissies to put their boats on it
    2. No dams south of Yankton so those dependent on the Corps oif Engineers to regulate the bite aren't on it
    3. Longest river in the U.S.
    4. Current - those sceeeered of moving water stay home
    5. Bait - there's no coves here - figure it out or stay home
    6. No docks - if your sorry ass can't deal with walking on mud and rip rap go to Truman
    7. Big ass fish
    8. No d-bags driving salt water cruisers
    9. No water patrol
    10. No dams - fish a river not a spillway

2. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    number 9 is wrong. i have had run ins with em and yep on the mo.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    11. Carp men such as you and myself can have a better time catchin no fish, than most can catchin monsters.

4. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I would love to fish the mighty MO river, but from what I read on here the JAMES might have yall beat?lol:foot-in-mouth:

5. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    thats the damn truth. do a circle by a wing dyke and bam there ya go boat full of carp if ya want em

6. THE PAN MAN

THE PAN MAN New Member

State:
    hartsburg mo.
    id love to fish that river. when the water is rollin the mighty mo is kinda spooky for sure.!!! lol

7. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    heck the truth is I would give up one of my eyeballs for a flathead like the one in your avatar!!!! :bulgy-eyes:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    A kid outta school, deck hand on a towboat. Hokka left going up with 4 barges of petro. We found a GOOD tree every nite before dark and tied up, all tows did, north and south bound. Long story short,,,we make it to St joe and pump off thinkin all is well. Wrong,,,still gotta top these barges around and get out of this swift asturd. Turn loose of the dock,,,top er around and can't stop it,,,bust up 1/4 mile of the dock. Rodeo time,,,catch em boys. That was years ago and i miss it. I can say this Brandon took me into his home,boat and his secret haunts last year and i can't say thank you enuff. Sorry to hi-jac ya thread buddie, couldn't hep myself

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Lot of places have us beat in numbers of fish. I will go out on a limb and say the Upper Missouri River is some of the hardest fishing there is. Narrow river fast current shallow and a fish population that is not as high as the Miss,TN,Ohio..etc. You do good here and you can catch fish anywhere.

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I dont know how many times I have seen someone pull up to the ramp pullin their plastic boat and look at the Missouri river current, get back in the truck and leave. I just smile and wave. I even gave some directions to the Mississippi. I didnt tell them but I would have bought their gas to get them to the Sippi

11. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I'm trembing in fear of the Missouri River.....LOL. The photos below are three of the boats that I've operated on the Missouri, it was only a short ride though....from Wood River Il. to Fort Mandan. I've also logged many miles and hours in Canoe's on the Missouri......does any of this qualify me for the Missouri River boat club?.....LOL......:laugh:

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS

No cruisers, but I did get passed by a ~28' sailboat last year. He looked like he was headed for saltwater somewhere.

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Haha, yeah I met those two cats a couple of years ago that were taking their sailboat down to Alabama via the MO, MS, and Tom Bigbee waterway. At least they weren't throwing a wake :)

John, you're right, as long as those Asian carp are here a fella won't want for bait or an easy meal on the river. You'll have to get up here this year and maybe we can catch a catfish. Still be fun either way :)

14. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    The main thing I would be scared of is the asian carp tearing up the boat accessories(Fish finders, lights, Consoles, my head,). The one time I've been on a boat to fish in the Mississippi the asian carp blasted us. I imagine they are just as bad on the MO River.

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    HAHAHA Why worry if it breaks just get a new one.

16. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    WRONG..I see patrollers alot...Alot of people call them Coon @$$@$ and the pictures someone posted that current looks like nothing compared to here...We got 10-12 mph currents

17. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Braden,

Great post and number 1 would be my top choice also. As far as water patrol I only see them 2 times around here. If they are looking for a body floating or if we have an Air Show downtown. Now I have had the Conservation boys drop in a couple times in the middle of the night down by Missouri City.

18. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Sorry, I was just showing pictures of the boats, didn't know I needed to be that specific...:) So here you go then, the boats in Omaha...that should be close enough to Council Bluffs, you can see the Omaha skyline in the back ground.

19. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The river is swift as heck somtimes. If ya can read current and navigation markers you should be fine---Mabe. Lol hard to trust cans all the time they get moved around in the high water. Nav panels are ok except when the lights dont work @ 4 in the morn and ya goen up river in pitch black. Lotsa of lower unit eating, and hull busting rock if ya dont have a clue. Confused currents, triple eddys, nasty upwellings, and somtimes timber so thick ya can walk over it to the other bank or drift pack-whole trees commmen @ ya in the dark. Ect She can be no fun to fish somtimes. The pay off if ya get it all down is monster catfish. Bait is to easy anymore it jumps right in the boat. A good note its not fished all that hard anymore. No one wants to get their pretty boat banged up. Yep I will always fish the MO river. I almost never see anyone fishen @ night out here on her more than a mile from the launch. I almost think its the last mans river left. I know one thing it takes a strong back somtimes to pull yaself back up river via anchor line to pull anchor lol.

So dont fish the Mo, go to truman or LOZ or the calm osage ect, the rest of us will keep enjoying a rough river to fish on.

20. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Gotta be hardcore to fish the Mighty MO, and it has a way of separating the men from the boys. The important thing is respect, because the minute you start taking it for granted, it will kill you. Week-end party boaters don't usually last too long cause the Big Muddy just loves those big pretty ex$$$$ meals.:laugh::laugh: