Tools and extra items on your boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by centexcop, Dec 2, 2009.

1. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    How many of you keep tools or extra supplies on your boat?

I keep pliers, Duct tape, electrical tape, a roll of electrical wire, extra boat plugs, jumper cables, extra oil, flashlight, extra set of keys (to boat and truck) , pen and paper.....

I've only broke down on the water one time through the years, but I like to carry some extra things just in case something happens to my boat, or to someone elses.

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    I keep tons of spare parts and tools on the boat. spare fuel line, Barb fittings, claps, few different sizes of wire and connectors, tape, pull rope, spare spark plugs, can of carb cleaner, spare keys for boat ramp and boat, extra boat plugs, cell phone charger, and 2 stroke mix. For tools i have pliers, screw drivers, wrenches, hammer, wire strippers,spark plug sockets,flashlight, and a good first aid kit. I'm sure theres more but i cant remember it right now :smile2:

3. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    I like to stay prepared, and you never know what might be needed.

The one thing that I'm guilty of not keeping is dry clothing. Its not always that cold down here, but I could see a need.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

If i need dry clothing its time to go home! I'm usually no more than 6 miles from the ramp, so it dont take that long to get in if need be. During the summer i would stay out if i got wet, but in the winter, if you get wet you are instantly cold, and it takes half the day to warm up.....even with dry clothes you will be cold, and i'm not staying out there if i'm that uncomfortable.

As for tools, i have some basic hand tools, spare spark plugs, a small first aid kit, and as soon as i get some extra cash, a spare prop and prop wrench (long story involving a spun hub and a 7 mile boat ride taking 4 hours). Oh yeah, a couple of collapsable orange paddles too. If i get too much more stuff, my center seat wont hold it all, with the life jackets and seat cushions in there too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There are so many different things you could/should take with you, you would sink the boat if you tried. Just try to be prepared for life threatening emergencies and the rest pretty much takes care of itself. I bought an old army 50 caliber ammo can. The lid on these closes water tight and if it fell overboard, it may take several minutes to sink...lol. I carry two complete combination wrench sets up to 5/8", a complete flat tip and complete phillips screwdriver set, two spark plug testers, a compression tester, and a complete 1/4 inch and a 1/2 inch socket set with an extra plug socket. In another tackle box I carry spare fuses, bulbs, clamps, tape, etc. It don't take up much room. Oh yes, I got two of those ammo cans and I carry my depth finder in the second one...good protection.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Never leave home without a church key.

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i carry all that stuff mentioned plus the most important....TOLIET PAPER :wink:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I carry most of the items already mentioned. I always try to think safety first. I carry several drain plugs in different locations. Extra clothes in the winter. Cell phone and extra batteries(Water proof zip lock bag). Extra large trash bags (Insulation wind/water proof protection) Extra life jackets. Lights, matches,starting fluid, and toilet paper to name a few items.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I carry a few tools for wiring repair and pulling plugs, and some extra fuel line and clamps.
    My drain plug is attached to a wire that hangs down near the drain hole so if I forget to put it in, it's not far away.

10. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Lenny, I almost forgot about toilet paper.......:eek:oooh: