Took my Father-in-law out tonight

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Aug 22, 2009.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Took My father in law Rick out tonight since I have been promising him for a while. It was a pretty bad night to be honest. Wind started howling and the freakin dam couldn't seem to make its mind up about how much water it wanted to push through. Same deal as last week, to fast to drift and to light to anchor. Man I am getting sick of this, its impossible to have any clue what the river will be like anymore, if it rains for 4 days there is no current, if it doesnt rain all week they open the dam....lol...Just real irritating. We ended up catching 7 fish, biggest being a 20lb blue which I am glad he caught, I atleast wanted to put him on one desent fish. Another blue and flathead were in the low teens...I am leaving for Gatlinburg Sunday, so hopefully when I get back at the end of the week fishing will have picked up a little, it has flat out sucked the past 2 weeks. Here are a few pics from the night..

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Nice job! Thanx for sharein. :wink:

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Awesome catch Travis. Nice pics thanks!

4. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Dont sound like a bad night you spoiled brat..LOL

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I had about the same experience yesterday. Went out for a few hours at first there was a ton of wind it finally calmed down and I managed to anchor up. It was completely calm and the forecast was for 3 mph winds and all of the sudden it started gusting 25mph and blew my anchor right up. I ended up catching 5 fish nothing big and gave up with that much wind.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That's a bad night? :smile2: Maybe you should come fish the GMR sometime.
    That's cool you took him out, I've tried so hard to get my pops to come out but he's never casted a line in his life. Not to mention most of the bank spots are hard to get to, some of my friends can barely keep their balance (STEPH) going down to the bank. :smile2::smile2:

Good night man!

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Hey travis when your wife divorces you for fishing to much at least your father inlaw will still like you :smile2::smile2:

8. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    LOL

You did much better than I did last night. Wind was ripping through Cincinnati so, I could not anchor there, had to keep moving up river, only caught 6 fish all small flatties and a big ass drum

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Not spoiled man, I just have higher expectations for myself lately I guess. I just like having some sort of game plan before I hit the water, and these conditions are just making it rough to do so..

10. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    I know the feeling bro, I catch a good creel when im fun fishin, but when it comes to tourney fishin I think the presure gets to me and i fumble the ball so to speak, but its gettin better the more tournaments i fish the more relaxed i am, this is my first year of fishin in a club and it will only get better for me...I hope:wink:

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like a good night to me. Too bad about the water tho.

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats what I am gettin at man, I am to the point now where I think I am ready to start fishing the bigger circuits, I just enjoy that kind of challenge, and when I can't go out and catch a number of good fish its like I am letting myself down. I look at every trip now as a learning experience for competition. I kind of wish I didnt look at it that way, but its what I want to do in the future. I will get over it I am sure, but I am always judging myself on every outing.

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Travis, I was thinking the same thing as the other guys Like "what is he talking about?? " I havent had that good of night in the last 40-50 trips down to the Ohio, seriously!!
    I really hate to bust your bubble man, but you have a good spot now thats got some fish in it but if you move to another stretch, youl need to find more good holding spots as well, the bigger circuits will never be on your home water. Think bigger, and try to understand "why" the fish are in your honey hole and start making a point to find simillar holes in other areas, that is the pont I am in, I have been in a serious searching mode for the last 8-10 trips down there really trying to find many different "types" of habitat so when i get onto a pattern, Ill be able to find several holes that should hold fish, Me and Fishdealer04 got onto a nice "Spring" pattern and we caught a ton of nice fish! But like all good things, they come to an end and now I am trying to find my own "Summer Pattern" , About that time, Ill be looking for a Fall Pattern, ha ha but once I get all 4 patterns down, ( give me a few more years) Ill be hell to beat in all the tourneys, ha ha!!

Does that make sense?? Anyways were launching out of Tanners tomorrow looking for some skippies and different types of holes I already know of to try. Wish us luck and will post anything good, I just hope to have a really "crappy" day like you guys had....:wink:

Salmonid

14. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

For some reason I view it as competitive too, and I don't even have my own boat to find my own spots on. I'm pretty competitive by nature anyways, I'm sure you are too. I've noticed trends though, there's never one person having a bad night, it comes in a whole. Sure, some people get skunked, whereas a bad night for you is 7 fish - 7 fish for those getting skunked is a stellar night. I honestly don't think it's you for doing "bad fishing".

Hell, drop yourself down stream 200 miles away or so and see how you do then. :p

/ James

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio

I get what your saying, but hate to burst your bubble bud, the tourney last week I caught all my fish except for one in spots I have never fished before. Alot of guys get into a bad habit of going from "known hole" to "known hole", and nobody is ever gonna win tournies, or even have many productive trips fishing that way, its the biggest mistake you can make. So I understand what you are saying, but for me its more about taking what I have been working on as of late and putting it to work on unfamiliar waters, I am never looking to fish here or there because I have caught them in the past, that way of fishing is unproductive and "pissing into the wind". It may work on smaller bodies of water, or smaller rivers, but not on the ohio and others like it. Drifting a known stretch of river however may prove to put fish in the boat, but the river in constantly changing, I see alot of guys on here complaining the fish aren't biting, or they are on the nest, the list goes on and on, but if you dont change your approach your never going to get results. I have done things alot different this year and its paying off. Alot of that credit goes to fishing with guys like Riverking and others, really made me open my eyes more to what I had been doing wrong. Him and I fished a couple tournies this year in very unfamiliar places, and even though we havent won yet, we always brought our fish to the scales, and alot of guys that live in those areas were getting skunked.

I am not saying I am ready to go kick the tails of some of these well known guys that fish the larger events, but its the only way to get better, and if I didnt think I could hold my own I wouldnt do it, no matter if I am fishing my home stretch of river or not.:cool2:

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Anytime bud

17. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I feel the same way of you get yourself in to much of a pattern, its gonna hurt you in the long run. I totally changed my tactics this year, and only been out a handfull of times where i didnt catch something over 20 lbs. Change is good in my opinion. Fish maybe there today, but they could be gone tommorow.

18. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is the nature of a bigger river like the Ohio, and I have found it out first hand. A hole, or spot may produce one day and not the next. A few spots may hold fish MOST of the time....that doesnt mean all and doesnt mean you should always fish the same spots. Similarly, fish may be in the same areas but may not be actively feeding......have discovered that frustration as well. Matt said it best change is good, and Trav is right...everything is a learning experience and you can never get better unless you try new things and techniques. If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten. I have learned a ton from these two guys in a matter of just a few months. I don't do as well as they do when i go out, but I still have a lot to learn. One thing is for certain....we can't control the river, and its like the weather...we just never know for certain what she is gonna do....just have to adapt and try to do the best we can. :cool2:

19. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The last 3 posts pretty much explains what I mean.
    This is why I absolutely hate bank fishing, you don't have access to spots and fish like you do on big rivers & on boats. Learning from the people I've met and gone out with on this site I've been able to figure out why in the past years I've considered the end of August, "out of season" and wouldn't start back up until April. The spots I know and head to often seem to produce well in June and July, and only when the river is up.

.. I've caught more fish in "new" spots just messing around not even feeling confident about the spot.

But it still seems like there's lots of relativity when groups of people go fishing the same night. I have yet to see one group do GREAT while another does horrible. The weather plays tricks, and it's just those things that only experience is going to help anyone learn. I'm thankful for people putting up with my stupid questions I've asked, really helped me learn a lot. :tounge_out:

20. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The truth is we are a bit spoiled with the Ohio right here. What I consider a bad day out there is the same thing I would have considered a great day anywhere else a few years ago. In the end you will judge a trip based on your average experience on that water. A night with 10+ fish and many over 10lbs is pretty normal out there so that ends up being what you judge the trip on. It can come off as spoiled but if you don't push yourself based on average for that body of water you won't find new and better spots.