Took my 10 yr old out Saturday....

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by GatorT, May 6, 2009.

1. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    ...to Wateree river. Time to put this youngin on a big fish. I wanted him begging me to take the rod from him. Didn't work out that way.

Bait was pretty easy to find. Was in my brother-in-law's boat - had no fish finder/depth finder. Don't know what the water temp was.

We tried several different spots, from a mile & 1/2 to 2 miles below I-20. Small stripers were everywhere. His first hook-up was an 8-10 lb blue (we had no scales, just estimates.) In his second hook-up, he let the line hit the edge of the boat and cut him loose. He looked like a 10+ Blue.

I didn't have anything with us but my cat rods and cat tackle, but I kept watching the stripers bust, and was thinking that he'd never caught a striper, either. So, I dug through my tackle box, found a big rebel. Must have taken it off one of my rods, then just thrown it in my cat box. Ever tried casting a rebel on a Penn with 30 lb mono? Doesn't work so well. Luckily, on the third cast, bam! - it hit, I handed him the rod, and he got himself a striper.

We had a bunch of rain - my boy was a real trooper. I didn't have but one poncho in my tackle box. Guess who gets the poncho? Guess who gets wet?

Due to being slack in the hind quarters, I'm just now getting around to posting this. He's really looking forward to having his catch posted on here. He was asking me if I was gonna post it as soon as he made the first catch.

Attached Files:

2. Chalk

Chalk Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Cangrats and keep taking that young fisherman with you.:wink:

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Great report Gator. Im sure he had a great time. Glad yall got on some nice fish.

4. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Way to go Gator!:wink: Taking kids fishing is a great thing. Hats off to ya!

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    "OUT STANDIN" Great job and thanx for sharein. :wink:

6. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    he will talk about those fish for many years

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    the times u spend fishing with your son will be some of yours an his best memories i started my son early he loves the outdoors now but my son is 27 now :wink:

8. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great report....sounds like some fun for sure.....the striper looked pretty decent from the pic

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations to both of you, I bet he had a blast :cool2:. Reps to ya for getting the kids involved in the outdoors.

10. Blake Wright

Blake Wright New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's awsome! My boy's 12 and he's got catfish on the Brain! Hit me up sometime and maybe we can take em' both out to santee to get a big one.

11. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Good report Gator,looks like He is well on his way to becoming a fine fisherman:wink:

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    My congrats to your son on the great trip out there! I hope that you guys have many more trips out together!

13. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Thanks, all, for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to showing your replies to my son - he's asleep right now, so it'll have to wait til tomorrow. But he was real curious to see what people had to say about his fish.

Blake - Santee sounds like a great idea. I've talked about getting our boys down there. I also have a 12 yr old, who's even more into fishing than his brother.

I just got back into fishing, myself. 10 years ago, 40-50 pounders in Wateree were no big deal. And that was 10 years ago - they ought to have grown up by now, right?:wink: Here, in the last couple of months, I can't seem to be able to find anything any bigger than 40lb - on the good days. It wasn't supposed to be any problem at all to put that youngin on a 40-50 pound fish. But, then again, I was on the water every day back then. And I do mean, EVERY day. (It was what I used to do for a living.)

14. SanteeCatHead

SanteeCatHead New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have an 11 yr old daughter who loves to fish more than her old dad (if that is possible). Catfish are her favorite and we go to Marion every chance we get. I used to fish the Wateree River many years ago; used to put in at hwy378 and fish down current. Big cats were never a problem. It has been over 15 years since the last river trip. Guess I should start back!!!!!!