Too wet!

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by beetle, Dec 27, 2006.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I managed to get two coyotes yesterday in snares but I lost two others one in a leg hold and one in snare that was staked. The two I got were wired to fences. In the past week I have lost six that I had for a while do to all the ground tore up. I hate losing one with a trap still attached. I kept hoping the ground would freeze but all we keep getting is rain. So yesterday I pulled all my traps and hoping the weather will change in a week or so and finally get cold enough to freeze the ground. I use 18" long re bar for stakes and double stake them. When I put them out the ground was dry and hard but with all the rain and warm temps they just didn't hold any more. I still was able to hold a few coons but even they were a pain due to all the mud they rolled around in. Hows everyone else doing?

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    have u tried tying to a tree root?
    we have done that here in texas since we dont get much freezing of the ground

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes I tie off if there are anything around but I trap in a lot of plowed fields. Not a tree or anything around any where. Most of the time by now our ground is frozen and I never have too much problem with pulled up stakes.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Have you tried the throw away cable stakes. There just a flat piece of metal with a cable attached. You shove the metal in the ground and the cable is sticking above the ground.

5. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
  6. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those are some nice pics. You look like you do good work on putting up your furs. What is the weight of a big coon or coyote in your area. Most of the big coons I got this year average upper teens with one at 23 and one at 24lbs. The one male coyote I just got was the biggest so far this year at 44lbs.

7. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    our big coons avg maybe 13-15 on the hoof while earlier this season we took some that would go 18-19. They were fat as pigs and semi prime. The coyotes avg 30-40. About 9 years ago I took a 58lbs male. I caught him in a #11 victor long spring. I had two toes. That was and still to this day is the only coyote that tried to get me when he saw me. I shoot him at 20 yard with my .38 spc. I had never seen yote try to come at me before or since.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rodger have you ever tried using drags? i have great sucess with the two-prong drags for coyotes and cats it takes a larger hole to bury but the situation warrents it sometimes good luck