TOO MUCH WATER

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by koking20, Aug 28, 2008.

1. koking20

koking20 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I WENT DOWN TO THE RIVER TODAY TO SET MY EEL TRAPS FOR MY TRIP THIS WEEKEND AND I COULDNT DO ANY BECAUSE OF ALL THE RAIN THE RIVER IS PROLLY 6-8 FT. ABOVE AVERAGE :embarassed:

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I wanna learn how to trap eels.....

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Wylie, get you a burlap sack and put a pig liver and a good sized rock in it. Tie the top of it closed and tie a small rope to it. Throw it in the river and check it tommorow. It's like any kind of fishing though, gotta be some fish in the area in order to catch 'em. If you find an area where there is some you can keep the area baited and there'll always be some there to catch. Nowadays, I think there's a length and creel limit on em, be sure to check that out.

4. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Forgot to mention what happens. They fight their way through the fabric to get into the sack, but once in there they don't want out bad enough to fight their way back out.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The River has come up a whopping EIGHTEEN feet since I was on it Monday! I anxiously await it to recede.

I want to learn to catch eels too.
    BB in SC

6. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    You can just use a # 4 hook with a red wiggler or liver on it. Just fish it on the bottom like a catfish rig while you're catfishing. eels will tear em up if they're there. We used to catch a lot of em when we fished for channels (before the blues and flats showed up). They're good eating too. If you fry em and mix em in with the channel catfish at a fish fry, noone even knows the difference. I've asked plenty of folks if they liked eel and they said "heck no" and then I responded, "you looked like you were liking em pretty good at my house last saturday afternoon" LOL