Too Much Stink?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by AustinSalina, Aug 2, 2009.

1. AustinSalina

AustinSalina New Member

State:
    KS
    I was out on a co-workers land last night, fishing on the Smoky Hill River near Lindsborg, KS. I had read several places that a good simple bait to try would be Chicken Liver that has some Garlic Power mixed in. It certainly made a nasty smelling bait smell worse, so I thought I would give it a try. I had some left over liver from my trip last week that I tried first, within 3-5 minutes of throwing out my first lines I had caught two decent channels and had several good hits taking the bait on the others, so I was really excited about the liver/garlic combination working so well.

I ran out of the original container of liver, and opened a new container, in my excitement I put quite a bit of garlic power in the liver container and mixed it up. I then tried using that bait, I never really had a good bite after that until right before dark when I needed to leave (my lantern light had burnt out, was having trouble seeing).

My questions is this: is it possible to have too much smell/potency to your catfish bait?

On a side note, I had tried using one of the pre-shaped dough baits from walmart (I can't remember the name, comes in a red re-sealable package, made especially for channel catfish) and didn't have much luck with that at all.

2. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    the stinkier the better! :eek:oooh:

3. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    You need to leave it outside for several days til it turns green then its ready to use.:smile2:

4. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I'm not sure, growing up I was told stinky stuff was the way to go. Now I catch All my catfish on NON stinky baits. I mean, all smells fishy, but not stinky. I would say if they're liking it, give er heck.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You dont have to quit fishing just because your lantern stoped working.

I have fished in total darkness for many years, just use a small flashlite for tying rigs, and baiting up.

6. AustinSalina

AustinSalina New Member

State:
    KS
    Thanks for the confirmation that there isn't a such think as too much stink for catfish :D. There was likely a bunch of other factors playing into the lack of interest (sounded like there was a concert going on in the distance at a fairground, and someone was making a lot of noise with a 4-wheeler).

I actually would have loved to continue fishing in the dark (it seemed like bites were picking up again as they should as darkness falls), but the lantern was my only light source (no flashlight) and I'm not particularly well familiar with the area yet. Next time I'll just rely on the trusty flash light.

7. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Trout don't care much for stinky stuff. I've used both beef and chicken liver alot. Chicken liver works better and smells worse, thats why I use Beef. Catch more fish with chicken liver though. Alot of people on here use something called 'Lucky 7'. Can anyone post more about lucky 7. Where you get it? How much it cost? Are there different sents? Whats the best way to keep it on a hook?
    I heard on CNN that Govt. was thinking about a 'cash to eat chicken' program kinda like 'cash for cars'. 'Save a fish, eat the bait' I guess. I ain't eaten no nite crawlers, lol

8. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Another little trick is to buy you some glow sticks that the kids use on holloween and tape them to the end of you pole. If your using bait casters turn your clicker on. As for bait the bsst bait is natural bait. Cut shad, bluegill, chubbs. go to a city pond with a crappie pole and some worms you can catch all the bait youll ever need.

9. channelman

channelman New Member

State:
    Linn Kansas
    I like to use plenty of garlic when I make garlic liver. I open a new container and take out all the liver, cut it into 1 1/2" squares. Then I layer them back into the container. 1 layer of liver and a layer of garlic. Channels love it.:wink:

10. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Austin, one of the first things that I'm gonna try to talk my wife out of
    is one of those hat lights that clip to the bill of your baseball cap or in
    my case I got one of those RealTree hats with a wide brim. Seen some
    of the bros use them things at gatherings and they are the real deal.
    Anything you look at you can see and you still have both hands. You
    can get them in red if you don't want to spoil your nightvision, too.
    Nice to be able to tie knots without displaying your skills on holding a
    D cell flashlight butt first in your mouth. Makes the bruthas nervous.

11. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Austin. I dont know about it being too stinky. But I have never had any luck on them preformed baits from wally world, i think they all pretty much suck. But the chicken livers should work on them channels, just gotta put your time in and them will come.

12. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    If you ever run out of good stink bait and you have a 14 year old son lmao Make him take his sock off and cut it up :smile2:That is enough stink to make the fish kill them self's :roll_eyes:

13. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got my Lucky #7 from Teamcatfish.com They have several sizes to choose from and the prices for each. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Everything I've read about it says that it is one of the best on the market. Hope to try it this week.

14. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Know exactly where you're coming from there:eek:oooh: My son's were usually stale enough to stand up in the corner when not in use:big_smile:

15. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    It's actually called Secret 7 but it will bring you some luck for channel cats. As far as stinky goes, I don't think you will find much of anything that stinks like Secret 7. It has a smell all it's own. Word of advice, don't leave it in the trunk of your car unless you're never gonna sell it:smile2:

16. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Oops sorry. Secret 7 was what I meant.:confused2:

17. Channel Chaser

Channel Chaser New Member

State:
    Fredonia, Kansas
    Hey Gamblen, I think that program was "CASH 4 CLUCKERS"

18. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I think on the question about smell is really up to the fish themselves I have noticed that when you bait holes with god awful smelling bait you git more of the 1# to #5 size cats.I have been known to chum with all kind of stuff and have had mix results but now I prefer raw shrimp (fresh) nightcrawlers fresh cut bait gills or live.and these baits produce small to good size channels for me but like I said it all depends on the fish and your location......as for wal-mart bait dont waste your money good luck good fishing:cool2:

19. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

It smells like rotten grain. Put some secret 7 on one hand and spoiled grain in the other. Wash them both off with just water, and then smell your hands. You cant tell the differance.