Too MUCH Shad?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by tmramrod91, Aug 17, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Steve and I went out on the river this weekend (after finding out every boat ramp to the Kaw around lawrence closes at 1130 :angry:) and had something I've never seen before happen.

We launch the boat at about 10 or so, and I have my monster headlights on and it looks like its raining on the water. Shad are just everywhere. We throw the net maybe 5-6x in 2 different spots and catch 2 1 gallon bags full of shad. Most of them were pretty good hook size a few bigger/smaller.

The entire night in about a mile stretch of the river, every single spot of the river is just bubbling with shad. Steve caught 2 4+ lb channels on greenies, didnt even have a tap on the shad. Obviously there was way too much bait in the water and having the fish pick our couple shad out of thousands wasnt the best odds. The fish he caught were fat fat fat. Just been gorging themselves.

Never thought I'd be pissed off about too much shad :smile2:

2. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    i saw a lot of shad on the windy side of fall river yesterday, they were everywhere, the one channel i got was full of them, i know cause he burped about 4-5 shad up on me while i was unhooking him

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's good to hear, shad have been pretty scarce down here on the river.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just the mention of "Shad" is good news. Thanks for the report.

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    LOL! Yeah I was on the phone with my dad last night as I was out at the lake and said theirs thousands of minnows on the bank and me castin 1 out aint gonna make a hill of beans vs. those large schools. Then he said before that.. " well your minna would be easier to get. " :cool2:

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I went out to Tuttle Thursday night and caught about 2.5lbs of shad. Its the first shad I have caught there since summer before last. They were 4in to 8in long.

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've never seen as many shad ever. I threw the net and got PLENTY of shad to fish with all weekend in one throw. They were all the 3-5" small shad, but I kind of like that size sometimes cause its perfect for whole baits. After that I put the net back in the bucket and we started on our way to our fishing spot. Then we both kind of said at the same time, "We would be retarded not to stock up the freezer with an opportunity like this." Especially after Kevin's freezer disaster last week:smile2:. So I threw it a couple more times and his livewell was completely full of shad. I thought for sure the shad was going to murder the fish that night cause everywhere we went they were flipping on the top of the water. Turns out nothing touched our shad, but they were all over the green sunfish.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    When the shad are like that, I learned to dump half out the net before I bring it in the boat. I spent two hours one time picking shad up off the bottom of my boat. I could barley pull the net in the boat and let them go in my gallon bait bucket. It filled it instantly and left shad 3 inches deep over the entire bottom of the boat. I was actually contemplating going somewhere and buying a scoop shovel. I will never do that again.

Te shad hatch this year at Milford was excellent. Should help out netting some big ones next year.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wonder what was drawing that many into that area so thick. It was almost like every shad moved off the lake into this area, several miles off the lake. And there wasn't any current at all, and unless my directions are wrong I think the wind generally would blow everything to the other end of the lake.

10. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I saw the same thing a few weeks ago while fishing a new spot for the first time. The shad were in there thick, and the bass were all over them. Only managed to catch one channel cat(on shrimp), and not even a bite on the two other poles w/ live gills on them. Been back to the spot a couple times, there have still been a few shad there, not near as many as that first time though.

Felt helpless w/ so many shad available and the castnet left at home :sad2::wink:

Here's a pic of some of the shad.....

Attached Files:

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    nice. yea any time you find them like that it would be foolish not to get your limit.

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Just wish I could find some 10 inch shad schooled like that.