Too much or too little weight ?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catmando2, Nov 24, 2007.

1. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Question

If you are having problems detecting bites, especially in choppy water and you are using a 1 oz. bank sinker on a 3 way swivel, what is the possibility of the weight being too heavy or too light to prevent bait stealing and to detect the bites

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you are using a 3 way you should be able to detect the smallest bite sence this is almost like fishing with your hook tied directly to your main line.are you sure its not turttles steeling your bait.also what kind of bait are you using.

3. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I was using cut shad and it was double hooked through the tougher part of the spine, but as the water was choppy from the wind, I could not detect the bites unless I had a hard hit. Most of the time when I would reel in to check bait the hook was empty. That is why I was wondering if more or less weight may affect how the fish may hook themselves in windy weather or at least let me sense the bite. I was also using a 2/0 kahle hook. There wasn't any turtles present that I could see as I was in the deeper parts of the lake but there was the yellow striped sand bass as I did catch a couple of them. I did end up catching about a dozen channel cats 2 or 3 lbs.

4. fisherdude

fisherdude New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    It can depend on what type of bait you are using. There are a lot of bait stealers down there: crawfish, small catfish, yellow bass, etc. Stink bait like danny King doesn't attract much but catfish and smaller catfish love it. You didn't say how long the leader between the swivel and the hook is. I like a longer leader in current and shorter leader in lakes. Sometimes the shorter leader helps me feel bites.

5. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    only advice I could give you in windy/choppy conditions is to physically hold the pole with a finger on the line to detect a true bite. These guys are right about the bait steelers, could be anything. Saying that you did catch some small channels, my bet is it was them, they are pretty good at steelin bait and shad isnt that hard to get off a hook. Just my 2 cents worth. Good fishin to ya.......Mac

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you have two hooks above the sinker, you're not only fishing two different levels, but you have the opportunity to fish two different baits. Try using a small piece of salt pork as your second bait. If they hit it ok, you might want to switch both hooks to it, because it stays on the hook so well. Chitlings flavored with stuff like garlic, anise, shrimp flavoring, etc. sometimes works well, too, and also stays on the hook very well.

7. catmando2

catmando2 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Sounds like good feedback. will try to do anything to cut down on those baitstealers

8. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Well,I havnt read all the posts on this thread, but if you use circle hooks and are tight lining, the "cats" will pretty much catch themselves if, they are big enough to keep, as long as you dont snatch.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I would try a small circle hook. Maybe a 5/0 Daiichi circle hook. Since you did catch a lot of small channels, that might be the majority of the population in that spot. Try the circle hooks on one rod and compare your catch rates. If they don't work for you, stick to the method that is working.