too much oil on drag

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by fishstick, Sep 10, 2009.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i cleaned and oiled my quantum cabo pt20 baitcaster the other day and got some oil on my ceramic drag and it slips too much and won't tighten up right. is there an easy and safe way to get the oil off the drag washers without taking the drag apart? maybe i should just send it in to the factory repair center. the last time i took a drag apart i didn't get it back together right. any ideas? :embarassed:

2. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has to be taken apart. Chances are, if the drag washers have oil on them they need to be replaced anyway. I'd send it in for service at Quantum.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just a thought,Billy. How about numbering them as you take them off with a sharpie pen,not the fat ones but those that are like a ink pen,Then give em a soaking in brake cleaner.They will have to be removed tho.

4. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Agree with the brake cleaner.

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i decided to send it in to the quantum repair center. about $40 for clean and lube with shipping. cheaper than ruining a good reel. :roll_eyes: :eek:oooh: :big_smile:

6. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    You should learn how to take them apart so you can clean them more often and lube them. I take all of my (8) reels apart at lest once a year to clean and lube them. Get the diagram for the reel you have and fallow that to learn the parts of your reel. They are easy to work on and clean. Once you do it a few times you will get the hang of it. Saves a lot of time and money sending them off every year to get worked on.

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    well, i sent my reel to a factory repair center in dallas with instructions that my drag wasn't working properly. i got it back in about 3 weeks. the reel was squeaky clean but after respooling and checking the drag i found that the drag is still the same as before i sent it in. i have to tighten the star as tight as i can get it to have any drag at all. i thought these ceramic drags were bullet proof. i have looked online for replacement washers but havn't had any luck finding them for the quantum reels. any ideas?

8. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    It sounds like the washers are fancy enough there isn't going to be an aftermarket version. I'd try soaking them in brake cleaner along with everything they touch. If that don't work, then get a new set. It sounds like it's designed to be used with drag grease. Do you have the right grease?

How much drag do you have now? I "oiled" and abu once and there was zero drag unless you cranked down that star so much it seemed like it would strip. The line isn't slipping around the spool by chance? You tied through the spool holes?

9. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    thanks for the input josh, as stated, i sent the reel to a factory authorized service center in dallas with a notation that i had gotten too much oil on the drag washers and they cleaned and lubed the reel and sent it back. the drag is still not working properly and my next thought is to send it to another center in oklahoma with instructions to replace the drag washers. and yes this reel is doing the same thing that you are describing on your abu.

10. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    What kind of line are you using on the reel? Put a few wraps of black tape on the spool before you put the line on. It will keep the line tight on the reel so it will not slip. And try that and see if that helps. Then you might get the drag to work better.

11. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    thanks for the info mike, i use mono backing on my reels and then braid on top of it. not a line slipping problem but thanks for the input. i'm contacting the factory service center tomorrow for some new drag washers and whatever else i need. i have never had a reel with ceramic drag washers and wasn't sure if they could wear from big fish slipping the drag or not but i guess that they can. anyway, thanks everyone for the replys.

12. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Good day. From your opening post, you are comfy in entering your reel.

I would try another drag matrix, instead of the factory units. I would re-enter, and measure the OD, and the ID of the washers, and go shopping at smoothdrag dot com for something in carbontex.

Carbontex, HT-100, are made from a time-proven woven material, that has stood the test of time, and work very well with a small spot of _dedicated_ drag grease like Cal's, or Shimano's..or run them dry.
    Chances are quite good Dawn will have a washer that will either drop right in, or: with a very small amount of trimming, can be made to fit.

With respect and without malice: sometimes factory sales hype and nomenclature RE drag washers are not all they are supposed to be. (I think you are seeing that for yourself...)

Hope this helps. KD

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    thanks for the info ken, i'd looked at this site earlier but didn't see my particular reel listed so i didn't think any more about it. unfortunately, i've sent the reel back for factory service. i will keep these carbon fiber washers in mind for the future. i would think that ceramic drag washers would be the ideal thing for a smooth drag but obviously they have their limitations. again, thanks for the info.