Too much oil in gas.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by smokey, Jan 14, 2008.

1. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My friend passed in Nov and left me his boat.He wasnt mush of a fisherman or boater for that matter. He just had his boat out one time.and when he put gas in the tank he added 2or 3 times as much oil then needed.
    Okay what I need to know is what I have to do? I dumped the gas,and changed the spark plug.Can I get away with out taking the gas lines apart and clean them. thankx smokey

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Joe,
    Im no mechanic what so ever but if you changed the plugs Id say it will be fine. If the gas in the lines is overly rich with oil it may smoke for a bit but should come out of it shortly. But as I said, Im no mechanic and others here may say otherwise. rspd507

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Put it on the water and run it. You don't want to run it at idle for very long it will foul those plugs out but beyhond that and smoking a lot it won't hurt a thing.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I see a carb cleaning job in your future, by the way you describe your friend and his not being much of a boater.

Welcome to the world of boat owners.

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thankx for your help guys.I think I will wait till it get alittle warmer to take it out on the river.I will have a friend go with me in my boat just in case I need a tow back to shore. A "carb cleaning job" ahhh? is that somthing that I can do, or should I take it to a pro? thankx again smokey

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Joe you can do that job and Bob did a good tutorial on that. It would be better to clean and rebuild them before running it if you can. If it sat for awhile then the oil has turned to glue like substance in the bottom of the carbs

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11900

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Joe for years my dad and I doubled the oil in our outboards. Never caused a problem. And that is running one every day morning and evening. average 15+ hour per week 7 days per week 365 days per year. Unless it was leap year.
    Then it was 366. That is pushing 800 hours per year. And most times the motors were never shut off. Left them running the whole time on the water. AS it was safer if a barge came up on you.:angry:
    It may have caused us to change plugs more. But it sure make a engine last longer. We ran them until they did not run. Then rebuilt them or got a new one.
    Commercial fishing takes a toll on motors. but with the extra oil it sure let us get an extra year out of one.
    So run that baby and let her rip..
    I am not a motor mechanic .But have worked on them for 25 years on and off.

Pete