Too much bait?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Jan 27, 2009.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Our trip Sat. was a real snoozer. Everything seemed to be lined up for a good day. Not to be spoiled, we got two fish 10 and 13 lbs.......and I have spent many days w/o a nibble.

The bite was so slow. I did notice on Saturday that the river was filled with little bait fish "threadfin" I think. So much so the sea gulls were everywhere on the river feasting.

My theory was that the river was sooooooo full of bait the fish were full.

So I guess my questions are:

Is this a viable theory?

I know your supposed to "find the bait / find the fish" but when the bait is so plentiful does this become a problem?

Please give me an excuse for not catching fish!

Thanks

2. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Jeff I think that you are right.A friend of mine went to the staunton river and was catching fish one day and the thread fins and gulls move into the hole and it was over for the fishing.
    I think you can still catch fish but you have to compete with the bait fish thats there.
    mikeb

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    The bite was slow both days this weekend. I think the changes in weather screwed them up. 40's to 50's back to the 40's etc.... The bait is always in there for the fish to eat, it's not like they magically appear one day, so I think other factors probably are more to blame.

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree with Josh. Two weeks ago when I took Davis Allison fishing and watched him crank in a bunch of upper 40 pounders and 6 other whoppers it was a like fishing in the middle of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". In fact we purposely set up where there were kazillions of gulls working. I feel that the fish bite best after two-three days of more or less stable weather. I support the Game Commision and buy one of their calendars with the solar lunar tables and has each day marked excellent to poor. You will be glad you did. There is a ton of useful info on the calendar. They tell you by date when the shad start to spawn, peak yellow perch bite in the mattaponi, striper run, hummingbird arrival, fawns being born, ect ,ect, ect. I get a bunch every year as presents for my brothers. Most important,,,,I swear by the accuracy of the bite prediction.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Is that calendar something I can order online, or pick up next time I'm in town?

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Green Top sells them but I buy mine at the Game Commission Headquaters on Broad Street when I renew my Boat Salt Water fishing License.

You can order online. I think this website has a hot link to the game commission web site. If not its,

www.dgif.virginia.gov/index.asp

Scroll to near the bottom of the main page and there is a button to click on to order a calendar.

The calendar is $10. Today says its going to be excellent. I am waiting for my brother to get here and we are hitting the river for half day of fishing. Supposed to stay cloudy and hit 58 degrees. I'm a wuzz so that's about the right temp for me.:smile2:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I DID notice the bait in GREAT abundance Saturday on our first trip to the James. As mentioned, the gulls were going crazy. That said, we did manage 14 blues, with the largest 43 pounds. Threadfin was our bait. The bite WAS kinda slow, and we worked our butts off to make a decent showing. Hope to get back up there one of these days, but it is a five hour trip from here, in SC.

Bill in SC