Too miserable to catfish - going for the sauger

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catfish_Rob, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    So I went sauger fishing again today. The river is too high and I can't catch shad where I was getting them the other day. So I started jigging a grub around with this piece of junk 4 foot rod that broke off in my trunk (I don't own bass rods I spend all of my money on catfish rods). Anyway, caught a few sauger. Not too big, but I got a lot of meat off of them. I was wondering if anyone else sauger fishes. I am a nooby. I just picked it up on Monday. It seems like minnows might be the way to go. Any suggestions??

Catfish_Rob

2. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good job .I dont know to much about it.but someone will

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I can usually get a few with curly tails or bucktails. Minnows work good too.
    I caught 2 this year on big musky baits, I don't know why they would attack something just a few inches shorter than they were but they did.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm ready to go Sauger fishing again soon. Depends on what the Ohio looks like I may try to go Saturday. I've had good luck this year with chartreuse curly tails right at dark. I usually use 3" white or chartreuse curly tails on 1/8oz jigs. Sometimes tipped with a minnow works good.
    I'm pretty new to fishing for them myself, couple Brothers on here have taught me a lot about fishing for them. I kept a mess of them a couple months ago, dang good eating!!!

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Rob were you throwing a throw net at the public landing last Friday?

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like pitching twister tails mostly in white, yellow, and chart. However, another way that has been good for me using minnows or small chubs as you mention, is fishing them below riffles using a floating jig head. Run a half ounce egg sinker 15-18 inches above it with a split-shot as the stopper . The floating jig head will suspend obviously on light line, and present the minnow or small chub just off bottom. Use your light tackle rods, and allow the bait to sit for minutes in a rod holder before moving it. Then move it only a few feet back towards you, and allow it to settle again. This has been deadly for me at times in the past.. Goodluck, rollo

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I like the Pearl white and chartruse curly tails on a small jig 1/16 or 3/32 oz. Fishing this rig close to shore just before or after dark works well for me most of the time.