Too many of questions...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatheadchris, May 26, 2007.

1. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    1.Im fishing in a pond with no current and i use egg sinkers.what size is best? ive been useing 1 ounce and it seems like the fish is feeling some weight and spitting out the bait.i know its nothing small,all we throw in there is 20lbs+.

2.Also im wanting to give circle hooks a try..i use baitclickers so when the clicker starts screaming do i just pick up the rod and start reeling instead of pulling the rod up and setting the hook??

3. i usually have about 1ft 1/2 of leader from swivel to hook.long enough?

4.yea im done asking questions...:lol:

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It doesn't hurt anything to try out some lighter weight, a one ounce egg sinker is pretty heavy for a pond, try cutting it back to about a half ounce and make sure it is set up to slip on the main line. Or you can try a couple different setups on a couple different poles. We all know that the catfish bite can change day to day. What works tonight may not work tomorrow night.

As for circle hooks, when that cat starts taking out line don't immediatly go for your rod. This is a case where the catfish will set that hook on its own. Disengage the baitrunner and let the cat load up your rod. Then just pick it up and start reeling.

Anyone else feel free to elaborate more.

3. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    in a lot of the smaller ponds, if theres not much wind i'll take the weight off. most of it comes down to can you cast where you want with little to no weight.
    most of my leaders fall into the 12 to 18 inch range.
    as for the baitclicker, i'm just now trying to switch from spincast to baitcast so the others can help on that one.

4. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    north nailed it on the head. couldnt of said it better

5. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    Well deal is i have pretty stiff rods,and the pond is about a 8 acre pond so i need alote of weight to get it to a specific hole in in the middle.

and

i basicly just turn the free spool off and wait untill he pulls out all the slack and jerks the rod himself?

thanks for answering all my questions..

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    You can always try using a bobber too, I can really launch one using a slip bobber and change your depth easily. One on the bottom and one with a bobber. Like the others said it wouldnt hurt to use less weight.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I've agree with the rest.

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Use a kahle hook with a fast tip rod drop your sinker weight back as you only need to get the bait down even a split shot will work. Try fishing a lose line and then the fish runs with it the stop of the line will set the hook. Its about like fishing for bluegilles just put a hook out there let the line just lay there then the fish has a few feet to run with the bait. This will let them get it into there mouth without feeling any weight at all. and they will set the hook themselfs

Plus when did you put the 20 lbers in if it was last year you have smaller fish in there they would have spwan by now

9. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    chris,

You still have to have enough weight to "match" your setup....I would start with the lightest factory reccomended wt and work your way up the weight scale till you found "chris' perfect weight for your style....Just my opinion...Dwight

10. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't know what rods you are using, but try using a rod with some length to it. That extra foot or so will help alot with casting distance.

11. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i usally use 2 12 foot rods with 3 ounces of wieght and that relly gets the bait out there.i have just recently started using slip floats but have not had that much luck on them yet.

12. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana

1) nothing wrong with the weight,let it slide up and down your line.
    2) try those hooks their great
    3)long enough in my book!
    4)nothing wrong with asking questions!

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well guys i have to go the other way on this one. i say a one or two ounce weight is not too much, even in a pond without current. if i were using cutbait, i wouldn't use weight at all, and i would use a heavy spinning rig to get my bait out there. shad heads are pretty aerodynamic after about twenty feet of flight!
    but but but- if he's asking about flathead fishing, chances are he's using livebait and going to have to keep his bait from finding some structure or moss and wrap up to hide itsself, and a two ounce egg will hold a 10 inch mudcat in pretty much the same place. no current? i would give it a 24 inch leader so the bait can telegraph its fear out to mrs. flathead.