Too Many little fish in my pond...

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfish casanova, Apr 17, 2006.

1. catfish casanova

catfish casanova New Member

Hello,

We wear out the yellows at my duck lease pond north of McKinney, Texas. The lake is about 30 acres and is a "soil conservation" pond. Very silty and low amount of vegetation. The issue is that we catch 5-6 fish an hour on nightcrawlers, but they rarely get over one pound. We have fished all over the lake and rarely catch anything of decent size. Should we start pulling out all these little fish in hopes we can grow some decent sized ones?

Thoughts?

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Keeping smaller fish is a good way to help keep down the overcrowding in a pond, it also helps cut down some on the competition between fish to find food which will help increase the size of the fish that do survive. I don't know if it's legal to do down there or not, but if you know of a place that's just stock full of 10-20lb cats, you may want to transport like 5 or 6 big cats in that weight class to help prey on the smaller fish. I don't know though, check with your local DNR before you try this, I wouldn't want to see you mess up the ecosystem of this pond.

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Are these yellows by any chance yellow bullheads, they will not get to big. They are a nuisance, but make great bait.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Bullheads are great eating too,out of the right water.The water will affect the taste.peewee-williams

5. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    If there are yellow bullheads than kept a bunch of them every time your go fishing for about a week and seen if that helps or just put them in your pond if it legal

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If those are really flatheads and not yellow bullheads, check on the bream and/or crappie population in the pond. If it seems to be low, you may need to provide several brushpiles or such to provide cover to allow them to grow to a reasonable size. If the pond is all open water, flatheads can pretty clean out the young panfish before they have a chance to grow to half the size of your hand.

7. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Sounds like your pond is full of yellow bullheads. Here in TX most ponds and small lakes are full of bullheads. They are fun to fish but are a pain when you are looking for larger fish.

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    One of the best things you can do to a pond that has an abundance of small fish is thin them out. The best way I have found to do that is to transplant some large bass into it. I have personally done this to 2 private ponds. I bet some large cats would work too. Also when you are fishing and you catch some small fish (bream, crappie and bull heads) don't put them back. Eat them, save them for bait, use them to stock another body of water or kill them and throw them back to become food for what's left. One of the ponds I fixed was a small pond (about 2 acres) on my father-in-laws place. I caught and transplanted 6 or 8 bass in the 3 to 4 pound range and my brother-in-law put in one that was at least 7 pounds. By the third year the bream had doubled in size up to hand size, big enough to eat, and the crappie done the same thing. Then we stocked it with channel cats about 8 inches long and started feeding them and man oh man that is one of the finest little ponds in the country. We do a lot of cpr on the big ones but we eat a lot of nice bass and crappie and some of the cats are up to 10 pounds now. We also had 1 albino cat that was 12 pounds the last time I caught him. We named him The Great White. I am pretty sure that this will help you with the over population problem I know it won't hurt.

ST

:0a26: ​

9. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah get some big ones stocked up in there

10. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    I would definitely start keeping a bunch of fish. They need to be thinned out.

11. catfish casanova

catfish casanova New Member

Hey,

Thanks for the great advice. I'll start thinning them out and let ya'll know what happens. We have 3 guys heading out there on Friday. If the storms hold off, we'll pull a bunch off fish out....

Double "C"

12. OpsMan

OpsMan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with all the others if not bullheads, then thin out the population.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd just take what I'm catching fishing somewhere else... like Texhoma, Sam Rayburn, Toledo Bend, etc. You got half the problem of catching big catfish all ready solved.