Too late for cats in MN?

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by The J-Man!, Oct 26, 2005.

1. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Anyone still cat huntin' in the upper midwest? I haven't been out for a couple weeks and was skunked on my last outing. I imagine if you find the right holes you can dig a few of em up. I am not sure of the water temp currently, but I imagine it's a bit on the cool side.

2. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    ive been catching limits of channels from 3-6 lbs-theyre only biting during the early evening hours-im fishing at 25-30 feet deep-the surface temps are in the low 40s -in clouqet here in northren mn-ill be after them again this weekend!-gl to you

3. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Terrycook3
    Way to go on gettin the channels. What are you using for bait, and what are you fishing. (body of water).
    Its been so nice in the cities lately I've been tempted to hit the MN river for to see if the Flatheads are interested.

4. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Larry - The weather has been great lately, let us know if you get out and what you catch. My son (11 months) is ill so I know I won't get out in the next day or 2, but I would love to get down to the river this weekend and see if any flats are hungry.

5. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    ive been using cut bait-sucker minnows-ive been fishing the st.louis river-i only got 2 last time out-i hope to get a few more trips in before the cold takes over!gl on those flats!

6. fishinga1

fishinga1 New Member

State:
    minnesota
    is it too late in the fall/early winter to be catching cats. Anybody fishing the mississppi river in the northern suberbs like coon rapids dam?

7. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Hello and Welcome aboard. To answer your question, the cat bite is all but done for the year up here in MN. After the water temp gets to a certain temp, it is done until the snow starts to melt. Usually by the first part of October, the bite has slowed drastically, but by the mid or end of Oct, it has all but ended till Spring.