Too hot for bluegills?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by zappaf19, Aug 12, 2007.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have been fishing in the lakes for gills and catching dinks. I fish piers and around structure shallow and deep. I got fed up feeding the small ones and decided to go to my sis in laws pond which is always good for hugh red ear. Well the weather has been in the 90's here for acouple weeks and the fishing stinks there also. I do catch baby bass. I have been using crickets, tubes, bee moths etc. Has anyone else had this trouble in this weather?
    Bill

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    It has been in the mid to high 90s the last 2 weeks or more and the bream are biting great. No problems catching all I need, it does seem that they have moved a little deeper tho, maybe trying to find cooler water.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I been having my best luck using red wigglers and Gulp maggots. To me it seems like in the early a.m. They are hugging the bank near any type of structure and move out deeper as the day heats up. Good Luck

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I always had good luck on gills during the hottest days. Be sure to go after them early in the morning or just before dark. I don't bother during the middle of the day.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bluegills can never pass up a easy meal hot cold or in between!!!:big_smile::big_smile:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    It aint to hot for Bluegills.

7. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I been catching all I need on the river using red worms. Even in the heat of the day a tree in the water or shady spot under an over hanging tree will produce 2 or 3 at least. But yeah, it has been more little ones than big...about 4 to 1 I'd say.

Good Fishin
    mike

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I ran an electrical extention cord down to the the lake, plugged in a fan. Then I set up a small beach umbrella, poured some cold brew into thimbles and had all kinds of fish just flopping up the bank to get a cool one... :wink::smile2:

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Now I'm going to try that Jerry!
    Bill

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Get ya some Wax Worms.. Fish up next to riprap (preferably), weed/willow banks, or heavy wood structure.. You may have to fiddle around with depth.. Been catching my bait 1-3' down in around 4-5' foot of water. Once you find em, shouldn't be hard to catch all ya need in 15 to 30 minutes...

11. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    :big_smile:yah its been hot but ive had luck fishing my local lake out here in southern california. I just use a bober over a small single hook about 8 inches. I know its sounds like i don't know anything about fishing, but it actually works with some mealworms try it out.

12. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    It's been bed everywhere for me. It'll change :)

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Been tough but they are there, been finding them in shallow shaded areas here.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    been having a little trouble catching big gills here in lake so i moved to the creek.1/32nd beetle spin is killng the black pearch.

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have a little bass buggy rigged with a elcheapo fish finder and guess what in this heat the gills are down at 13' once we found them we slayed them!!! Keep changing your depth till you hit a big one!!:tounge_out: