Too far or just enough?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by tehrealmccoy, Apr 19, 2006.

1. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    After a HORRIBLE season last year (I only got out fishing once) I am determined to make this year a whole lot different. And I've hit it off quite nicely, already got burned and have seen about 4-6 cats pulled outta the water, even though most of which weren't keepers.

None the less, while my gear has been hard enough to maintain I've created a fishing rod holder. It started off as a saw horse that didn't turn out right, and then I was like that could be useful instead of rotting in my backyard. Anyways, now that we have some downtime since the river flooded I had time to fix it up a little since the few days of hardcore fishing proved it wasn't built right. So I basically rebuilt the basic structure, reinforcing everything. Then, since we have to hike around and lug all our stuff around from spot to spot I built in some pole holders to carry 4 (maybe more) poles. Then I built grooves into the side so that our poles could rest there without getting blown in the wind or pulled away in the current (or a giant fish ;)).

After that, I got an old laundry basket and nailed it in there for carrying the tackle box, bait, and other misc. items making sure it stayed out of the way. After that, I got a couple of cup holders made out of a cooler lid turned upside down which had cup slots built in it. And it's still plenty light to carry around from spot to spot. Just need one extra person with me to carry the cooler!

So what do you guys think? I will have pictures available hopefully tomorrow, and I'm field testing it Friday night! Also, I figure if it gets dark I can set the lantern in the basket and it'll light up the whole rod holder pretty decently so won't have to worry about lighting issues anymore.

Comments? Feedback? Personal stories? :) Anything is welcome!

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the fine world of catfishing, LOL!!!
    Where, Nessesity is Truely the Mother of Invention!!!

3. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    I tried it out today and it worked like a charm! I'll have pics available soon. :)

4. frisco66

frisco66 New Member

State:
    NE
    therealmcoy,i wanna see those pics-sounds interesting!

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Yes a good sturdy rod holder(s) is a must in my opinion. If you can't lock up them thar reels and let the cats hook themselfs I believe alot are missing out if not tight-lining. I just can't see a reason to let them cats DROP THE BAIT!!

Lets see them photos plz.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I agree, it sounds sturdy... but does it take two grown men and a couple of boys to tote it around? Definetly need pics. lol