Too early?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by HoFFmaXX, Mar 19, 2007.

1. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys, I am rather new to catfishing, I was a hardcore bassfisherman till i caught a 12lb channel on a plastic worm in the GMR. I been hooked every since, now im after them big flatties. I was jsut wondering, is it to early in the season to start fishing for em? I am just very anxious to go fishing and wonder if it might not be worthwhile.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would say no but thats just me. If I can get out there and wet some lines Im happy(of course the weather will be above 50 since Im a wimp LOL). Welcome to the BOC

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    You may be able to get into some channels this early. Wouldn't even waste my time on the flatties yet. They typically won't start biting until the water reaches 55 degrees. Good luck to you this season. Also welcome to the BOC.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You still have a month to get ready for Flatheads. If you fish a lake you can start catching them when the crappie start spawning. Find the flooded areas where the crappies are and you will find flats and channels there. One is eating crappies the other is eating eggs. If you fish a river you can find channels now under lowhead dams. Or any place where shad are hanging out. Use some type of cut fish for bait. Put on fresh bait every 30 minutes at least. Once the water temp gets to around 55 or so the flats will start moving around looking for food and spawning habitat. May and june are top times for catching numbers and larger Flats.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would post a reply, but i would be playing a broken record...these guys hit it on the nose....i will say i have caught a few flats early in the year in high water conditions, all of them either in a feeder creek or stream that may have warmer water due to shallower conditions....but they are far and few....anyway, welcome to boc..

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the boc , id go try if all else fails maybe you will catch a bigger channel

7. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just as i figured, im jsut so anxious, but thanks for all the great info

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Welcome to the BOC, you'll find all the information you need to catch those flatheads on here. Check out the library , its full of useful stuff.