Too early?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by douglas_413, Mar 17, 2007.

1. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Do you guys think it is to early to fish for channels if the ice just cleared?
    (on a lake)

2. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Joe, To answer your question "No" it's never to early to catfish. However depending on when you go the bite may be better than at other times or it may be slower. From what I have been reading lately it seems that the bite is just begining to pick up a bit.

Good Luck to you,
    Garrett

3. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Here in NE Pa. we usually get started as soon as the ice is gone. Last year I got my first cat the 13th of March. Are ice broke last week, but it stacked up so high along the shore line you couldent fish it.

4. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Joseph
    I don’t think it is a bit too early, especially to fish the north end of our reservoirs.Check out the new Nebraska fish forum. Middle of last week Harlan was clear as far as you could see from the dam, some boats out, didn’t talk to any one that was having any luck. Johnsons was about half iced up yet. I fished at the inlet with no luck. Heard they are taking channels on the north & west end of Mac, with shad guts and gizzards. I fish alone and like it to warm up some before I get my little boat out. We lost two guys locally last year just about this time, little boat went over. Luck

5. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think I might gicve it a try this week. If I do I will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks!

6. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    not at all-my 2nd biggest channel last year came in febuary-the pre-spawn urge combined with winter-killed shad drives them to feed.

7. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I definately think I will give it a try. Thanks!

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joseph you might find the bite to be a little slow but don't give up. A lot of good channels can be caught just after ice out. I see you have made your mind up to go so good luck :big_smile: on your first trip this year.:lol:

9. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Right at ice out is a good time to fish soured baits as the ice melts the shad that had been frozen in the ice have dropped and are available for the fish to feed on. I have had people tell me to fish right on the edge of the ice that is still on the lake and the fish are knocking the fire out of shad and soured or winter killed baitfish.The ice is like a grocery store for them. A little more groceries available each day.I fished a lake this past weekend and the fish we caught had big bellies and still wanted to feed on fresh shad. Biggest fish was a 15 lb blue.

10. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Was out on the river in my boat today, and finaly had my first nibbles. I say nibbles because that was all I got. Still a little early but never too early to try. They just aren't real aggresive yet. When you start seeing turtles on logs sunning themselves you had better be fishing. Thats how I gauge it in my river!!!

11. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Well I never made it out. I ended up throwing my back out so I sat at home and did nothing. Hopefully this weekend I will make it out.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nope its not to early for channel catfish, I caught one Monday on Nightcrawlers.