Too early to catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Baker, May 3, 2007.

1. Baker

Baker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i was wondering if there was a "too early" on catfish? if i started now, i think it would be ok, but my dad says that its a little too early for them. now i really want to get out there so what do yall think? if your already fishin for them, what is a good setup to use to catch some early bruisers?

2. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I dont belive ther is a "too early". cats will bite anytime.

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Right now in Texas its best time. Everybody but me is catching em. LOL.
    I guess it depends on the area , state you live in. Weather.

But, if there aint nothing else to do, fishing is always a good choice.

I bet your Dad knows whats up with the fish in your area.

Good luck fishing this year.

4. Baker

Baker New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    lol well i had a feeling he was just trying to get rid of "the fever" for it in me lol and ive told him time and time again that it will come, sooner or later it will come. haha ya me and my dad like to go fishin for walleye and we miss spawn every year just cuz he claims its too early but i dont think so. thanks guys...any good early 'cat setups?

5. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    unless the water is ice there is no too early, I might not catch to much but if I can put a pole in the water I am happy.

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    You can catch catfish year round. In the colder months they'll be in deeper water. But I usually start fishing for them at the end of March.

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with this post, as I do alot of the posts here. Catfishing is a year round thing but it is alot better in the "Summer Months" or when ever the fishing waters warms in your area.
    :0a22:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

8. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    go get em!! a guy I work with got a call from his bud in NE and he has beeen catchin some nice fish recently.. 27# - 40..

blue gill or cut up herring type for bait..

good luck

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You can catch catfish year round my friend.

The only downside is that from now and the next month or so, depending on where you live, they might be spawning so the bite might be down a bit. But you can still catch them if you're persistent.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nope its not to early for catfish, I caught my first catfish in March.

11. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Blue cats are sometimes easier to catch during the colder months, so basically year around there are always catfish available. It just depends on if you are able to locate and get to them. For shallower fishing though, its no too early. About a month ago the shallow bite started, with a slow down for me when we got 12 foot of water pouring into our lake.

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The best time to fish for catfish is anytime you can go fishing. So take time out and go. Best of luck.:big_smile:

13. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Evan
    Nebraska cats go as soon as ice is out, just figure how to get to them. Best to try the warmest water, shallow, probably north and west end of lake. I’d try where water enters lake especially with the rain we have been having. Best bait shad parts, maybe nightcrawlers where water entering.. Lots of guys catching cats in March and April. Lot of night fishing going on already really picking up. I like using as little weight as necessary to cast and get the bait down, maybe just a large split shot and a swivel plus bait. Think might be a little early for live large bait, but a gob of minnows work too. Luck

14. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    there is never a bad time to go for cats unless the water is froze over

15. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    never too early to go spend time with family...ya might not catch anything but ya just might learn something

16. cataholic

cataholic New Member

State:
    Illinois
    its never to early for catfish , i have heard alot how alot of the biggest blues caught in december january and so on .. the bite maybe slow but once you find them :roll_eyes: .
    I have actually found that the fish seem to be easyier to find when its cold out ... just go find the deepest water and they will be close :big_smile:
    as far as my set ups I mainly use a sliding rig or a 3 way rig .
    cut/live gills/ shad hope this helps ya some :smile2: