Too big to eat or still tasty?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by creepie-jackalope, Nov 26, 2009.

1. creepie-jackalope

creepie-jackalope New Member

State:
    Great state of Texas!
    Is there a size limit yall wont eat? I'm just curious. Are river cats better than stillwater cats?

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i prefer the small ones for my own use. just like any other animal the younger ones are better eating. cats in a free flowing current environment seem to have better tasting meat to me than those that come from a lake. water quality relates to meat quality too.

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ryan, Welcome to the BOC.... Fishstick has it right.... The smaller ones are better to eat.

4. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    AGREED 100% WITH FISHSTICKS!! right on the money with that answer.

5. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    not too mention it is best to release the larger sized cats cuz they will produce more eggs than what the smaller ones will.

6. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Welcome Ryan.....I my opinion, anything under 10lbs is pretty good eating, over that you got toxin build up and for my taste a little mushy in Channels and Blues.....Flatheads are still good above 10lbs. So if your of the mind to, CPR over 10lbs.......just my opinion guys.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The only size I wont eat is under 3 lbs,I cant justify the time involved in the cleaning for the return,Besides them lil guys need to grow up.I have eaten cats up to 70 lbs,I see no difference in taste ,The texture of the meat is quite a bit coarser tho,and some can be a bit tougher than a smaller sized one of 10-20 lbs.

8. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    For eatting I like fish in the 1-3# range. But will eat some up to around 10# if I think they will die if released. They are best from clean flowing waters rivers/creeks with sandy or rocky bottoms.

9. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Richard, this is totally off thread here......but I noticed in another thread where we were talking about Man Bags....I think your wearing one in your avitar......:smile2::smile2::wink:

10. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    river cats are better than lake cats.and on blues and channels,the smaller the better.Flats the only difference in size,is it takes less bigguns to fill up your freezer.:big_smile:

11. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    id assume just to release anything over 10lbs. the little ones really do taste better and in my opinion not as much of a challenge to clean. plus the older ones have a toxin buildup thats higher than the smaller ones. a hundred years ago i woulda said heck yeah eat a bigger one, but now? id try some, but im not gonna eat any i catch over 10lbs unless like these gentlemen said, i think it wont live.

12. festus

festus New Member

If I keep channel cats to eat, I prefer the size from about 2-1/2 pounds up to about 5-1/2 pounds.

13. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome aboard the BOC Ryan. For my family, they will eat the cats up to around 10#.

14. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    The smaller the better. Nothing smaller than 2 and anything up to 10. Rarely keep a ten though. Shoot rarely keep any.

15. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I've ate plenty of big flatheads and Blues and they are every bit as good as the smaller ones, actually they are better because you can trim away the bad parts and still have a big 'ol piece of fish left to cook.

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i like 2 lb ers with tail on and bone in fried crispy in a skillet

17. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I think alot depends on where you live and fish and what kind of toxins and at what levels are in the water,personally most of my eater castfish come from a deep,cold, clean water gravel pit that is fed from groundwater,even in the hottest part of summer it rarely gets water temps above 70 degrees,all the cats out of there are good eatin',heck any of the fish I catch there are good eatin',it's private and secluded,but small,so I try not to overpressure it. When fishing other places I try to stick with fish under 5 lbs. for channel cats and under 20 for flats and blues,sometimes I keep a larger fish, now and then. Depends on how bad the fishings been! those 14 inch long fat 1 1/2 lb. channels are mighty tasty and easy to fillet out. Also might add that the fishes primary food base has alot to do with it,if their primary forage is something oily like shad then the fish themselves tend to be alot more oily and fatty,in a system without the oily forage they are cleaner and don't have the nasty tasting fat all over. I fish one lake where a five lb. channel will leave your hands covered in grease after cleaning,not the best eating.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009