Too big of a hook?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oahegw, Aug 7, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Most of the fish I take are small channels. I bought some #8/0 Matzuo circle hooks that measure one inch across the loop, from barb to shank.

What will happen when a two pound cat bites on this big hook that has been baited with a medium size fresh shrimp? Will he strip the bait off? Or will he mouth down the hook and bait?

I understand that Matzuo hooks are very sharp. Perhaps the cat will just hook himself.

An interesting thing. What say you??

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it would be fine. I have caught a flathead that weighed around 12oz on a 10/0 king kahle hook an those hooks are so big they look like novelty hooks. Personally I think that bait size is more important than hook size. If you were targeting smaller fish specifically I would use a smaller hook though.

3. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    yeah they will catch just about everything that hits ur bait........RAT

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've caught some real dinks on some really big hooks. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    depends on what your after.if your after eaters i wouldnt use nothing but a 2/0 or 3/0 but for the bigger ones id keep using the bigger hooks.

6. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    dont think it matters. I have caught 4 inch cats on 6/0 hooks and half a bluegill.

7. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Iv'e caught some really small cats and all I use is 8/0 gama octos:wink:

8. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    if i get a lot of bites and no hook ups i will down size my hooks, but if they swallow it i will up size. hope this helps.

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    This one hit a double hook rig with 8/0 gammas on it...:eek:oooh: Then got hooked on the second hook and I didnt know he was there untill I checked my bait...
    Puddle

Attached Files:

10. gatorboy15

gatorboy15 New Member

State:
    florida
    i think it would be fine because when i fish for smll brown bullhead catfish in my pond i use almost the exact same type of hook

11. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    yes that is to big u have to chosse ur hooh size so it matchs ur bait u might get lucky once or so but for that bait i would use like a 3/0 or 4/0 well hope that helps good luck o and thay are very sharp

12. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I would have rearranged the hooks and use it for bait.

13. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use three different hooks to catfish all kahles. The hook size I use depends
    on bait size. I use 3/0, 5/0, and 7/0. In south Alabama the good ole boys call
    kahle hooks "suicide hooks" meaning any fish that bites is committing suicide.

14. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I use 7/0 owner circles and catch cats as small as 2 lb consistantly. That size helps me keep the yellow bullheads off when I am targeting channels. I still catch a bullhead every once in a while. The bigger hook also helps to hook up on a nice cat when one come along. I just got the sickle hooks from Pete this summer and have used them a few times. I starting to like these hooks and am fishing with them more and more everytime I go out.

15. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always use 10/0 king kahles fishing for flatheads and i always seem when lake fishing to catch 2 and 3lb channels without and issue on these huge hooks so i highly doubt ull have a problem....

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Right now I am using 1/0 to 8/0 hooks! 1/0 hooks for worms and livers, 5/0 for cut bait.