Tons of nibbling and tugging, but could not get them to hook

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by SyKo450, Aug 30, 2009.

1. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    What the heck is up with that?

What could I have been doing wrong?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Don't know about them west coast channels. LOL! I would start with this. Are your hooks good and sharp and are they the rite size for what ya are targetting? Also is there enough hook point exposure after ya bait the hook? Its a good place to start.

3. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    They're sharp, I believe they're the right size, also believe there's enough hook exposed

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Ric ,just to be sure try stepping up a hook size or two an try a couple riggs with the larger hooks ,that would tell u ,Use same size baits on all rigs but larger hooks on a few ,just a thought :wink:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    what yo delin with is small channels not self hooking,or mouthing flats, trie team doble action hooks in a few sizes, wen they tug tug back to the side and you can hook a half pounder

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like turtle bites to me.

7. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    I had been using size 1 treble hooks and caught 20+ inchers, but now I couldn't even get them to stay hooked, I'd let it sit in the water, and it was a good minute of tugging and when I'd yank on it there would be nothing but a clean hook left

Also thought that they might have had been turtles, I've hooked a couple of them already

Maybe I'll go down a size or 2 on the treble

8. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    There's your problem, go with a khale or circle hook or some kind of hybrid hook.

9. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Got a few 5/0 kahles to try out

10. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I use mostly 3/0 and 4/0 hooks but out of nowhere the fish started doin this to me could be a sudden change in temperature,cold front, or the water got warm to the point the cats are getting sluggish. Just theories of mine and Im no biologist

11. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    team catfish double action hooks. If theyre smaller fish, use a 3/0-5/0 hook. When you KNOW they're on, reel down on them before you even take it out of the rod holder then set it. If they STILL aren't on, then they're probably turtles. And man do i hate turtles. try another spot with bigger fish and less turtles. lol. What are you using for bait?

12. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Seems to me either turtles or small cats on the bait. Smaller bait and hook, can still get the big ones but the little ones can get it in their mouth. I'd go with a size 1-5 circle hook, and bait small enough to let em get the whole thing in their mouth.

I got one that took a few bites to get the whole bait in his mouth. I had a circle hook, so I let him keep at it. With a J hook I woulda tried to set the hook and lost him. Keep at it, good luck.

13. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Bought a few 4/0 Owner circles to try out too

I'm using chicken liver as bait and sometimes shrimp, I get more bites with chicken liver though

Going to take a different approach this time, going to use a float to have the bait suspended in the water instead of dragging it in the bottom

As for turtles, there's some turtles there too, but they tend to eat the entire hook with bait

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  14. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501

I agree!

15. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i agree with flathunter sounds just like a turtle bite to me.those buggers will bite like that just about everytime.

16. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Constantly for 1.5 hours?

17. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yup you bet they will especially if theres more then one.they will stay there all day as long as your throwing food out to them.

18. beagle1963

beagle1963 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Happens all the time to me. I bet its small channels. Use a smaller, like 2/0 hook and don't wait for them to pull the rod down, just time when to set the hook and you can get pretty good hook ups.

19. SyKo450

SyKo450 New Member

State:
    Coachella, Cali
    Stupid catfish...

20. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Where you fishing brother....i am from California. You South Cali?