Tonight's carp, Oct. 10

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Sentry Dog Man, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Hi Guys,

Took off fishing at about 2 PM this afternoon. Threw out a couple of rods with hot dogs for bait until I could catch some bluegill for bait. Caught 9 gill for the bait bucket and got set up for some serious flathead fishing. Never got a hit on the hot dogs. Rigged up two rods with the gills at between 3 and 3:30 pm. Only got one small hit from then until around 6 pm. Finally decided I would rig up my light action rod that I had been catching the gill on, for some carp action. I chummed a little bit with corn and then threw my corn baited hook out. Had one pretty long run at 7:20 pm, had him on for about 45 seconds and then the line went slack, I reeled in a scale from the carp.

At about 7:50 pm I had a super run and the fish was pulling off line like crazy and I was hoping that he was not going to "spool me". I played him very carefully, with the 6 lb test line I am using, made sure I let him have his head whenever he decided to make another screaming run. Anyway, it took me about 15 minutes to land him.

According to my new Rapala 50lb digital scale, he weighed 6 lbs 2 oz. I measured him and he was 24 inches on the nose.

No, he was not a monster. But, he sure gave me a thrill on the light tackle. Can't wait to hook into one of the "gollywhompers".

Biggest carp I ever caught was 32 pounds and got him in a farm pond. And, believe it or not, he hardly fought at all. It was almost like pulling in a log.

Anyway, I have attached a pic of tonight's carp. Gosh, I love my digital cameras. In seconds you have your pic and can post or e-mail it.

Attached Files:

2. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Im sure that was fun on ultralight i caught one about month ago on ultralight catching gills for bait he nailed a waxworm about 3lbs nothing seems to fight like a carp maybe a big blue.

3. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    sounds like fun. i am going to try and catch some thursday. going to use that premo carp bait, hope it works.

4. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    psh... no offense, but thats a midget compared to the ones i catch on ultralight

ive caught 20 pounders on ultralight before

5. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Hey Whiskers,

No offense taken and congrats on all your 20 pounders on ultralight. What kind of carp were they? And, did you take some pix? If so, please post them. I would love to see them.

6. spam

spam New Member

Sentry Dog Man

Here is a 20# carp that I caught Fri evening. Where I fish I can't use my ultralight, but it was a fun catch on the heavyweight. I fish in Chattanooga, where is Hampton, TN?

Attached Files:

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Nice fish looks like some great cut bait to me :D

8. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Way to Go Sentry
    Ya gotta love the way them carp fight.

9. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Hey, great going Spam, nice carp. Why can't you use the ultralight? Snag infested waters or what??

I lived in Chattnooga back when I was a little kid (3 or 4 years old). Only there for a year or two. My Dad told me recently that some huge carp used to be caught around the Market Street bridge. But, of course, that was back in the early 50's. So, 50 yrs later with all of the changes in that area you might not even be able to fish around or near the bridge.

Hampton is located in the upper northeast corner of the state. Near Bristol. I am a little over 20 miles from the Bristol Speedway, nestled on 6 acres, on the side (low side) of a mountain and a 5 minute drive to the nearest lake (Watauga).

How is the fishing in Chicamauga lake these days? Or, do you even fish it??

10. spam

spam New Member

Sentry Dog Man,

Fishing in the Chattanooga area is good. I usually fish the smaller branches that feed into the Tn River. Carp and catfish fishing here is excellent, I live in Red Bank about 5 miles from where I do most of my fishing.

11. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Yeah, oldprowler, the screaming runs the carp make can really set your heart to pumping. They are a fish that does not give up easily.

My most memorable carp (as for a long fight) was an 8 pounder, back in the 70's. I was night fishing, in a boat, for bass. I had my little brother with me, who was around 11 yrs old. I was fishing a crankbait, a humpbacked rattler Rebel (deep diver) black back, gold sides and white belly (it was my all time favorite crankbait for nightime bassing). Anyway, all of a sudden it seemed that the Rebel just stopped, cold and dead, like you had hung into a snag or something. Then all of a sudden it was "Katy bar the door", I got a good one on here and he ain't going to stay in this lake, he is going to get in this boat. I really thought I had a monster bass on. I thought my right wrist and hand were going to fall off because of all the pressure that fish put on me, for around twenty to thirty minutes. I was using a Mitchell 410 and a 6 foot Fenwick Lunker Stik. The Lunker stick had a pretty soft tip but loads of backbone. Anyway, I finally got the thing netted and in the boat and then sat back for a few minutes to rest my wrist and to get calmed down (it was pitch black that night, so I still did not yet know it was a carp, until I finally turned my flashlight on and looked at it). I was really disappointed that it was not the huge bass I had hoped for. The reason he fought so long and so hard IMO, is that I had snagged him near the tail and he was able to go (run/fight) longer, since he had a free head.

Anyway, I released him and started casting again. After a few minutes, I noticed that my little brother was not doing any casting. So, I said, "Ben, you ain't gonna catch any fish if you don't have your lure in the water." He said, "Well, I don't think I want to get anything like what you just caught, on my line." :grin-big: I'm serious, after the fight I had from that fish and then getting it in boat, and him seeing it. It scared him and he did not want to fish anymore, if he thought he was going to catch something like that.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Do you carp fish all the time ? I was just wondering. I would not know how to get started carp fishing. :D

13. spam

spam New Member

Top--I probably fish for carp 90% of my fishing time. There is no finer fighting freshwater that I have caught. It's easy to start carping. Find an area where they are (or chum heavily, a few hours/days before). Thread on several kernals of corn (4 to 8 sized hook) rigged on a carolina rig. Throw a small handfull of corn where you intend to fish. Corn is the best all around carp bait, forget the magic doughbait formuals. Set your rod in a stong rod holder, sit back and wait.

After you have been at it for a while you can try some fancier rigs, also try beans, etc., but to start with keep it simple. Where I fish the carp are not dainty feeders. All of a sudden my pole will bend 90 degrees and the drag will start screaming. Grab the pole and hang on. Bye they way, my smallest cart was 7.5#, so far the largest 23#.

Try it, you'll like it

14. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I am going to try for some carp tomorrow night. I have read all of the threads to look for what kind of rig I should use. Some say no weight at all, some say carolina rig, some say split shot. So, do you experienced carp fisherman know which one works best? Or does it even matter what rig you use. One thing that I have learned is to cover all of the hook, or does this even matter. It seems that they are all mixed responses.

15. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    At least you're out there catching something! :D

16. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    A carolina rig is the best set-up i have used...
    MY RIG: First you have to get a real strong line, I like 17 pound test trilene. Next you should get an even stronger leader, I like 30 pound test super braid. Attach the two lines together by a swivel with a slide sinker above the swivel on the 17# trilene. I like to make my leaders approximately 1 foot long with a 3/0 worm hook. You then take a piece of bread and ball it around the point of the hook... the shank can be axposed and I recomend it because it saves bait. Cast out and get your rod in a sturdy rod holder. Leave a lot of slack in your line because carp can feel tension very easily. When you get a bite your line will run out and then go slack (carp usually do this for about a half hour). When the carp takes the line all of the way out and your rod is bent in half, NAIL HIM! Set the hook as hard as you can! It usually takes around 10 min to horse a 20+ pounder in so take your time and make sure your drag is set because they can snap 17# test no problem! GOOD LUCK AND I HOPE YOU HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!

17. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    I have some pics of a 25-30 pound common carp that my buddy caught... Ill post them when I find my camera!

18. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    what does the little red dot and the -1 sign mean next to my reputation?

19. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    The little red dot means that someone gave you a negative reputation point. They might not have liked something you posted.
    Or they might have accidentally cliked the negative instead of the positive.
    If you click the usercp button in the top left of the screen, it will tell you who gave you the neg rep, and why.

20. Sentry Dog Man

State:
    TN
    Top, no, I don't carp fish all the time but have started doing a lot of it this year. Mostly as a side line to my cattin. But, I have had a lot more success on the carp than on the cats.

The info Spam gave you is a great way to start. And, I would suggest that you do some net surfing and read a lot of the information available from the Europeans. Just go to your search engine and type in something like, carping methods, carp fishing, carp angling, carp terminal rigs etc etc and you will find a lot of good information.