Tonight on the Great Miami River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Im planning on taking the Smurf boat out tonight and "might" have an open seat, Ill know in a hour or two,but am pretty sure it will be available. anyways, if anyone is interested in occupying that open seat, send me a PM, will be fishing around West Carrolton Pool around 6 PM till 10 or 11PM but could drop you off at ramp earlier if need to.
    I got some frozen shad for bait , first come first served!!

Chubba? Akillis? anyone?
    Salmonid

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    As it stands right now, seat has been filled, ( that was quick!) but Ill repost if it falls through and will post results late tonight or in the morning.

Salmonid

3. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not going to be able to go tonight, I know that. Good luck out there. The flathead fishing was tough over the weekend. I went out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. Not too much to talk about for any of them. I guess the best night was Saturday. I took my brother out flathead fishing for the first time on the GMR. He ended up catching 4 fish, biggest was 15 pounds. He also caught one around 10 pounds. I also caught 4, but my biggest was only 6 pounds.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck, I left the house at 4:20am this morning and wont get home until midnight probably. 700 wonderful miles of driving, LMAO. Wish I could make it, see ya Saturday!!

5. akilliss

akilliss New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio
    i gotta work tonight. thanks for the offer. hopefully my overtime will be slowin down with in the next 3 weeks. as we start to tear out machines for the new factory. ill get out with you guys one of these days

6. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tear em up!! See you on Saturday.

7. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Geez Mark:sad2: .Oh well good luck tonite.Lol.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    well, here is the story from tonight, met a friend /lurker on here (Oreokats) and we spent over an hour trying to get the %$&%# Motor to start, Im like WTF???? Last time out ran like a top, time before it was sluggish and bogged down, time before that was like a champ, which was right after i had it fixed.
    Anyways, it cranks and never gets a spark it seems, ( new plugs 4 weeks ago) so Im so "F"ing disgusted now, I cant see well enough to drive home!!!
    anyways we pack up after waiting for an hour for this guy and wife to load there boat at east River Road ramp, then drive to the Old Dam ( just below the new dam) and fish there for 1.5 hrs until dark, end result, to add insult to injury, I got Softshell number 10 for the year and a ton of turtle tappers ( where is Dink the Turtle Whisperer when you need him??) so we left,
    I got home and pulled the plugs, they look ok but were rather oily but Im gonna have the dealer look at them tomorrow, probably replace to know its not them. since its relatively cheap. My plan is to get out again on Thurday night to confirm its fixed or not, if not, Ill have to bag CJ on Sat since Ill be spending all Sat getting the %$#&% thing fixed, ( oh boy, here i go again:eek:oooh: ) Man I tell ya what, once its fixed, Its going for sale, I just have spent waaaaay too much time driving this thing to and from the ramp( 5 times now) without getting to fish. My time is way worth more then that!

I do believe the mellon curse has moved in at my house....:crazy:

Salmonid

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That sucks Mark, sorry to hear about the boat problems. Better luck next time man, hope you can have it ready for Saturday.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, sell the boat, believe me you will be much happier, I know I am.

11. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hate to hear that Mark. Sorry to hear your fishing trip was ruined, even before the softshell.

Are you getting rid of the motor, or the boat and motor all together. Maybe just a better motor will turn your attitude around.

You are going through some of the things I've often thought about if I were to buy a boat. I just don't know enough about engines to get myself out of a tough spot. Think about how bad it could be if you were already anchored in river.

12. akilliss

akilliss New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio
    if its a small johnson or evinrude iv been gettin pretty good with them. the guy who i bought my boat from thought 50:1 ment half oil so iv had a blast gettin my motor running. but now that iv replaced head gaskets 3 times i got allthe bugs worked out of mine. its just a 5 1/2 horse thats 20 years older than me but it does well in the river. i bet its those gaskets.

13. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well, the smurf boat is fine except for the motor and that may be the next thing to go, I just dont have the time for something that I can not trust, like the brand new s-10 Blazer I bought back in 95' , I was 2 days short of a mandatory lemmon law ( in Ohio it was 35 days in the shop) and at 20k miles, I couldnt trust it to drive to work, finally about had to pay someone to take it and really lost my tail on that one, Dealer didnt help any so Ill never buy another chevy product , anyways I pulled the plugs and will have those replaced, then Ill check the ignition wires/switch since the nutsack who owned it before me was an "engineer" well let me tell you about a whacko wiring job... my mechanic and Dink who rewired some other stuff for me had never seen anything like it..... Just thinking about this motor gets my blood boiling again, makes me want to make a call to the Catfish Mafia and put a "Contract" out on it, you know what I mean??? wink wink...
    Ill post the update after I talk to the dealer today at lunch.

Salmonid

14. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Mark,

They say that the two best days for a boat owner is the day they buy it and the day they sell it. On the other hand, you could view this as an excellent educational opportunity. With as many small engines as you are going to have on the homestead (farm), it'd be good to know how to repair them. Maybe your spouse can hook you up at the vocational school for a night class? Also, there's a little thing that connects to a hose and clamps over the engine intake that lets you start the engine at the house BEFORE you leave. You might want to invest in one.

Good luck.

Spencer