Tomorrow 12/17 - Anyone want to meet up?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by gottafish, Dec 16, 2005.

1. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Anybody going?? I'll be launching out of Hopewell. 16' Camo Jon boat/Red GMC Truck.

/Scott

2. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Ill be putting in at Deep Bottom at 6:30-7:00 and getting some bait then be headed toward presquile. Im in a OD green lowe 18ft xxwide, hollar if ya see me.

3. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    I thought about going, but my partner is a no show for tomorrow....if i go, I'll have to stop by Skin and Fin on the way to pick up some frozen shad in case i cant get any out on the water....ill look for you Willis if im out there...I'll be in a 16 foot Lowe bass boat.... green and white...also putting in at Deep Bottom...i wont decide if im going till late tonight probably after i talk to the wife...

4. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    good luck guys!

i look forward to hearing a good report!

5. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

shore bound...ill be fishing at henricus park..8 am to 3 pm...near snag heaven(fish heaven???)ill report back tomorrow...anyone want to join me just walk past the colonial stuff and follow the wooden walkway down the hill near the river...ill be fishin near the gazeebo thing

6. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

smaller fish abundant and nibbling my baits...but no big fish cought

7. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    we had the same problem last time out .. small fish were everywhere .. constant nibbles all day but only one good fish .. hopefully they'll be full by monday

8. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Only landed eight fish today and the biggest was only 35lbs. Lots of crap in the water and plenty of bait in the river. Good to meet ya on the water Scott, how did ya do?? They were biting pretty good for me in that area i saw you at but couldnt get but two hook ups in that spot. Hope you did better than i did.

9. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    8 fish is still good Willis! I plan on going out this Friday the 23rd... I got up late this morning and then ended up doing yard work al day long before family comes in for Christmas. Anyone else going out Friday by chance?

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Just a few in the 10lb range for me today. It seems my rod tips never stopped bouncing from the small fish fooling with the bait. Had one good run but couldn't hook up. Hopefully I'll have better luck next weekend.

Good to meet you David. We'll see you on the water.

/Scott

11. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Dagnabbit!! I wish I woulda seen this thread. I made my first trip up there today. Put in at Osborne and fished all around from there over to just past the 295 bridge. Caught about 4 smalls, and mostly just nibbles.Bait wasn't too awful hard to find once I started lookin in the right place, but my fishfinder was on the fritz today for some reason so I couldn't mark fish very well. There was a ton of debris though. Is it always like that? What's up with all the seagulls too? They were everywhere!!!

Overall had a great time. :D

12. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Looks like the reports are all pretty similar. Don't know what's up with the trash. Something occurred recently that put it in the water. Maybe somebody will post up that knows what caused it. I'd like to know how long it will last.

I bounced around from hole to hole within a couple of miles of presquile.

I'll be heading back out next weekend on saturday and/or monday. I'd shoot for sunday but - well - you know :rolleyes:

/Scott

13. tank3544

tank3544 New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    pretty consistant reports for the last week now

lots of smaller fish (30lbs and under) with LOTS AND LOTS of small pecking bites .. only a few have reported catching any fish of size and only 2 that i know of caught more than 2 of size

the weather will be stabilizing (at least that's the prediction as of now) over the next 7-10 days .. i'd be putting my money on the bite picking back up this week as the pattern stabilizes with highs constant in the mid 40's and no major storms

i don't want to get anyone fired or have anyone mad at me but i'd be taking a day off midweek this week to go fishing unless the weathermen change their forcasts

14. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    I think i can explain some of the trash and debris... if you are referring to all the trees in the water that is....--> Central Virginia has gotten quite a lot of rain in the past few weeks/months...but more specifically in the past 2 weeks the western part of the state got over 10 inches of snow so once it all melted and came down river the river level is up quite a bit above normal according to the local weatherman...so it's pulling all the trees that have been dead on the sides of the banks into the water and they arent going anywhere too fast b/c they go out with the tide and come back in on the incoming tide...! But you are right- it's a pain to not be able to get your boat up on a plain b/c of all the debris! :eek: I think i noticed it was worse in the area from Osborne through Dutch Gap and on down to the 295 bridge..once you get past that, it's not all that bad........

15. gweber

gweber New Member

Check out the link below for more on the reason why the debris comes down river at certain times. I believe Malligood24 is absolutely right, but seeing it as raw data doesn't hurt either. I look at this link every day along with the tide charts, mainly to see what a fishing day might look like from an upriver flow and tidal flow standpoint.

Water Data for the James from usgs.gov

16. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Holy cow!! :eek: That's 4 times the median flow just for the 17th. Malligood wasn't kidding when he said western VA had produced a lot of runoff.

/Scott

17. gweber

gweber New Member

Check it out for the last 30 days, it's pretty cool to look at the Dec 1st time frame!!!

30 Days for the James from usgs.gov

This link shows you the last 30 days, and you can see the HUGE peak that occurs in the flow. The flow for Dec 1st went from around 8000 the day before to almost 60,000. Look at Dec 1st on the graph below that and you'll see the gauge height went above flood stage from 5 feet to almost 15 feet. When the river flow goes up that much in a day all kinds of stuff from up river and even on the banks down river get broken free and start floating.

I often wonder what that much water coming down river does to the fishing for the following few days. That's over and above barometric pressure, time of day, moon phase, tide, temperature, water temperature, etc.