Tommy and Mommy up the river

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by anchorpuller, Jul 26, 2007.

1. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Monday, my son and I took a trip up the Cape Fear into the Haw river. It was a rare daytime trip for us, as most times we have to stay home with sister. Dad was off work today and could stay home with her.

After loading up on snacks/drinks/bait/gas, we launched off 42. We spent the day "adventuring" up the river, watching the turtles jump off of logs as we passed by. Every now and again, we would stop and drop a line to see what might bite.

On one of these stops, Tommy caught his first ever eel. He was So tickled with it and just had to play with the poor thing for a bit, before I cut the line and let him go. Now fellas, I'm pretty good with catching and taking my own fish off etc. But, there is NO freakin' way I'm touchin' that slimey eel!

Here is the picture that Tommy demanded I take of him and the eel.

Attached Files:

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I know that was a great day on the river.It makes me feel good when I see the young ones fishing.:0a23::006: Thank for sharing your trip & pics too.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i know what your saying about the eel. i watch two "big" catfisherman catch one at santee a few wekes ago and neither one would touch it either. first one i had ever seen in my life. of coarse i would of taken the hook out if i had caught it myself.....lol. congrates on the eel and what a great way to spend some time with a kid. im sure tommy was happy with that eel.

4. shooowhee

shooowhee New Member

State:
    north carolina
    No matter what we catch an who catches it u had a great time.

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Good job, Mom and Tom, it is great that ya'll could spend time on the water together. Thanks for sharing.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Never never ever cut an eel loose. Finest cut bait in the world. They won't hurt ya. Just clonk em in the head to numb him up a bit and ya are good to go. Bonus! Whoever catches it gets the head part. LOL! Thanx for sharein the story.

7. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I agree with katfishin50..I caught a large eel several years ago and an old man told me it was the best catfish bait you can find and told me how to prepare it.,I did exactly what the old man said, I took my time skinning him out and cut that feller into 1" pieces and placed them on a flat pan to cook in the sun. I set the pan on top of my shed roof where I knew it would have full sun for several hours. After about two hours my wife came in and asked "Why are there so many cats on the shed roof?"...I ran to the door and watched in horror as every cat for miles around fed off my eel! I couldn't wait to ask that old man if he meant cats or catfish...

8. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for sharing the story and the pics Laura. Those days are the childhood memories that last a lifetime. Give the kids as many as you can every chance you get!

And, get these guys to tell you how to deal with that eel slime so you can use them for catfish bait! LOL

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Keep one of those large green scotch brite pads with ya in the tackle box. It will grip em and hold em.

10. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Yeah that is what I use to keep them still or just impale them to a peice of wood so you can chop them up.

11. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    The smile on his face says it all !!!:big_smile: Glad you both had a great time!