Tomato's dying "HELP"

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Flintman, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I have a very small garden, tomatos & okra, my back yard very small. I have 7 tomato plants that looked good till they got about 8 ft tall, now they are dying about 1 brantch a day, from the bottom up. What is it and can I save them at this point?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Never seen tomatos do that ,Tom,I know my okra does lose limbs that way late in the summer tho.

3. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I have one okra plant that's 7 ft tall and growing. It gives enough okra by its self to supply me and Jan.

Maybe I'll plant the tomatos there next year.

4. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I don't know what to do for them. Are they planted in the same spot as last year. Not good. You should put them in a new spot from the previous year. Are you using natural fertilizer? Not too much I hope. Good luck with them, I sure love a good mater.:confused2:

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Tom,

I have heard of people using left over coffee grounds and the coffee itself. They just sprinkle them around the plants. Something about plants needing something besides water and fertilizer..

Can't verify this info, but it's something I heard..Who knows???..lol.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive read the same thing Ronnie said about rotating spots due to soil fungus or other. Hope this helps.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The condition you speak of is fusarium wilt. It started showing up here about 10 years ago. Our Clemson extension agent said that once the wilt gets in the soil, there is NO cure for the soil, and it will remain like that for MANY years.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3122.html
    The good news is, there are many wilt free varieties of tomatoes that you can seek out. There are numerous tomato discussions online, and many folks who can hook you up with wilt free varieties. Hope this helps.
    Bill in SC

8. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I havent had that happen this year. But when I lived in the Keys, I kept a potted garden of tomatos. And once they reached about 5' they would start to wilt and die from the bottom up, much like you described. I always figured it was from the salt in the air because we lived on the water. I really dont know the fix, maybe to much water not enough. Or the fertilzer is to much, or now due to it's size it's not getting enough.:0a26:

9. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Bill thanks a bunch, I will find a new spot for next year.
    My son has 5 acres, i may use a spot of his ground next year.

Thanks
    Tom

10. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    hard to say without seeing them myself but around this time of year mine always do that, maters dont like super hot weather, even varieties like 444 and heatwave can suffer. instead of planting fall maters i simply cut my existing bushes down to about 12 inches tall and let them bounce back for fall.

11. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Tom, I have the same problem. I just have three plants, and they are planted in wooden Half Barrels. and the whole bottom half is dead. it's has got so bad that I think this will be my last year to plant tomatoes. I don't have much room to plant ether and it's a shame to waste the water, time and space and have this out come ever year.

12. Angieaz

Angieaz New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    Mine do that when the temp passes 100 degrees. My husband tried shading them but it did not help much. I now plant them as early as possible and harvest what I can before the heat gets them.

13. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Could also be acidick soil. work a little lime into the ground next year to sweeten it up. (couldn't hurt)

14. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

Place a bannanna peal in the ground before you plant them, works good on my roses too.

15. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Thanks for all the ideas, I sent an email to the OSU extension here in OKC. He sent me a list of plants that are wilt resistant. I'm gonna try Marks idea and put some lime in the soil also.

I have added a pic of my prize okra plant. I have to pick it from a stepladder and its still growing about 6" a week. Never had this happen before. and its in the same soil beside the Okra.

Thanks
    Tom

Attached Files:

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Tom, i have the same problem, kind of. last year i had 3 tomato plants and they bore fruit like crazy up into september. this year, i moved them and have 7 plants. they did pretty good for awhile, but nothing like the ones last year. about a month ago, they just sort of shut down. still getting a few, but very few.

i will plant again next year in my old place and add some okra also.

17. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Chad I did your thing and cut all my plants back, they wern't doining anything anyway. that was a week ago, they are growing like crazy and putting on new blooms. only thing is we didnt have that hot weather when they started dying. Maybe we'll have fall toms.

thanks for all the help guys...

18. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I just measured the okra plant I posted a pic of in post #15, it is now 15 ft. and still growing. New blooms and small okra on the top.

It's Italian Okra, Ive never had it grow near this tall before.