Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Hootowlc3, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Getting cool her in Florida. I hope my tomatoes get ripe before frost.
    Only 3 plants but they produce lots tomatoes. I have been eating parsley off these 2 plants sense last spring.

Attached Files:

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hoot, you mean ya'll get frost down your way? Frost has already got most things up this way. That is some healthy looking mater plants you got.

3. pog2

pog2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Hoot
    Try this I live in SC and My father is 82 years young and he is still teaching me the way of life. I plant tomatoes and the night before the first frost I pull all of my green tomatoes and wrap them individually in news paper and place them in a box and put the box in a dark closet, this way with no sun light the tomatoes will gradually turn red and you will be eating tomatoes past Christmas. And believe me they are good..:big_smile:

4. helisbad

helisbad New Member

State:
    Darlington,SC
    wish i could get green or anyother color tomatoes...i planted 11 plants this year and got "0" tomatoes...desease has decimated my plants for the last 6 years or so...i never had any problem with peppers until 3 years ago ,now i can bearly make enough to eat...so if you don't want the green ones ,send them to me,they will ripen indoors and if they are big enough will taste like real tomatoes...

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I didn't do this this year but have several times in the past; if it's not a hard freeze but just a frost all you have to do is cover them with an old quilt or blanket the night before. You'll be amazed at how long tomatoe plants will go like this (until it actually freezes hard). One year I was gettin tomatoes up into the 2nd week of December doing this, and then came the hard freeze.

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Jim it does freeze a couple time a year where I live.
    I cover the plants and put a light inside. Does a good job.

7. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Try wetting the ground where you plant tomatoes. Till and cover with black plastic. Have heard this gets hot enough to kill most bacteria.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i planted over 80 plants this year, and have to say it was a good year in Ohio. i canned almost 100 quarts of juice. along with salsa i made. and gave box-fulls away to other canners. some of the plants grew over 6ft!!! sad too say, but i couldn't keep up with them due to work and family and a lot went to waste. rollo