Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by crappieguy, Oct 8, 2007.

1. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    Took the advice of one of the members back in early June, to fertilize with fish guts etc.,...best crop of tomatoes ever from four plants..12 qts of canned tomatoes. Personal best...look out next year also going to try peppers but will fertilize earlier in the season. Thx for the info BOC members:wink:

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    That is a very good yield Reg!
    Those injuns were on to something way back when. :wink:

Isn't it great learning things from other members?

Thanks to all who share knowledge. That is what makes this the greatest forum on the internet!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Reg. You had a banner year. If you still have tomatoes (green) on the vine near frost. Pick them and wrap in newspaper and you will have fresh ripe tomatoes longer yet.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Mickey, it's easy to see that you're not from the south. Down here, we don't keep our green tomatoes to ripen, we slice them, dip them in egg, then flour, and fry them up. Fried green tomatoes---breakfast of champions!

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :smile2: JT were having a mess of them tonight with pan fried chicken and taters! All of our fish remains get buried in the garden all year long! works great on everything! still have tons of maters and peppers, of course its been summer way to long :eek:oooh: Also use Epsom's salt on yer tomatoes through out the season, makes them sweeter and bigger!

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    If you like me and don't catch enough fish for the garden , you can mix a hand full of blood meal in the bottom of the hole. You will be surprised how big the main stem gets.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Hoot, it doesn't have to be catfish guts. If you've netted a bunch of shad, you can bury the unused ones; if you live close to the coast where there are partyboats going out, you can get guts there, or take some kids over and let them catch hardheads till their arms get sore. When we'd vacation down in Panama City, my folks couldn't keep me off the dock, fishing for hardheads with squid. We were going out on the partyboats during the day, so we had snapper and grouper for eating; I just caught the hardheads for fun and turned them loose.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations on the Personal Best Maters.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I dont care how you fertilize them but there is only one way to eat a tomatoe.Pick it ripe right off the vine,warm red and juicy,then bite into it so the juice just runs down your chin,a little salt and pepper between bites and that is Tomatoe heaven.If you are one of those soft girly men from up north you can slice the tomatoe with a knife if you must!!!!!:big_smile::smile2:Of course a thick sliced tomatoe sandwich with just salt,pepper and mayo on fresh white bread will also work:big_smile:Southerners tend to prefer Dukes mayo but I wont debate your choice.:crazy:Add some crisp bacon,cool lettuce and you have one of Gods noblest creations, the BLT which ranks up there with some of his best work.:big_smile::smile2:Dang it, I am dying for a BLT!!!!!!Although I do have a fresh ripe tomatoe on my desk, along with an apple which will compose my lunch.:big_smile:

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have to agree that there's something special about the taste of a tomato that's just been picked off the vine, most of the dirt knocked off it, and eating it while it's still warm from the sun. And no, you aren't allowed to use a knife or fork!

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Does it have to be guts only or is all of the fish fair game?

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'll have to chime in too and say this was my very best all time year for tomatoes. I had seven steaks break over from shear weight! I didn't use fish, just a even number mix. though I have done so in the past for a few plants. I think that the hot temps and the straw that I mulched with did the trick. Tomatoes have to be warm to taste good, mine never see the inside of a fridge. :smile2: