Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Cherokee, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Not much Rain here latley but my tomatoes are looking pretty good. How is everyone ones elses graden doing ?

Attached Files:

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Don't know what part of the state you live in but yours look two to three weeks ahead of mine that were planted early but my tomatoes look OK for the drought we are in.Peas did not produce as many as they should have and are turning yellow and quiting.Corn starting to silk and showing much drought stress the last few days and won't produce anything if we don't get rain.Early planted potatoes are much smaller but were good for supper tonight.Watermelon and cantaloupe look good but not for long if we don't get rain.
    Jake

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Herb, nice looking mater patch you have there. If I may make a suggestion though. Get you some of the concrete reinforcement wire and make you some cages. It works great and a roll of cages will last many years. A roll will make thirty cages and they are like five foot tall, so unless you have giant vines will keep the maters contained well. I use two tobacco sticks per cage and drive them in the ground deep, that will let them weather any wind without damage. Vern

4. BamaRiverRat

BamaRiverRat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    We've only had one measureable rain in over 6 weeks, but mine is fair thanks to an extrememly high water bill. I had blossom end rot on my tomatoes, but after spraying them twice with a calcium solution and two epsom salts treatments I seem to have a handle on it.

My squash, zucchini, and cucumbers are going crazy. My peppers aren't liking these 95 degree days much.

5. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Yea i been wanting to get concrete fence but havent yet.

I live in Salyersville ky, KYJAKE

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Darn I hate TOMATO posts.Is there anything better than a ripe juicy tomato picked off of your own vine,still warm from the sun and eaten right on the spot with a little salt and pepper?Proper technique demands that you let the juice run down your chin and onto your shirt.I dont have a garden so I envy you that do and would be happy if you go out and eat that first one for me.:smile2:pS I consider the BLT one of GODS noblest creations and had there been a BLT tree in the Garden of Eden I am positive Adam would have been the one that got us kicked out.Nobody would choose an apple over a BLT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Looking Real Good Herbert, Mine are not doing that good, so if you go out to pick some and there all gone!!! I don't know anything about it!!! Ya Right. LOL Just Kidding. J.D.
    :big_smile_2::byebye:

8. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Home Grown Tomatoes are the absolute best.As a kid,there were many times I'd go into my folks tomato patch and get me a fat one and wash the dirt off and salt it down and munch away! YUMMY!!:hungry:

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    My tomato patch is looking better this year than it ever has.

This is the first year that I let my wife plant and tend the tomato patch.

I let her do it her way.

Do you think God is trying to tell me something? :sad_2a:

10. CATBUSTER

CATBUSTER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    THATS WHAT I HAD FOR LUNCH......PICK A TOMATO ,THREW IT ON SOME BREAD WITH MAYO............SALT & PEPPER...........MAN IT WAS GOOD

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Man that high heat is what makes peppers grow, just throw the water to em, and dont forget the Miracle-grow.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just had to post on mine , They are lookin great, Herb. as well as yours, I have concrete wire cages that a neighbor gave me, they are three feet tall and the bigboy tomatoes are almost taller than the cages, guess i'll have to add on .