Tomatoes/Peppers Cross-Pollinate?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ladyfish50, Jun 9, 2007.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Just curious; has anyone heard of or ever had it happen where the tomatoes could cross pollinate with peppers if they're planted side by side? Just wondering. I planted my pepper plants in a bed, & then later my husband said he'd wanted to put our cherry tomato plants there. I said there was room for all of them, but he wasn't sure if they'd cross pollinate & we'd end up with hot tomatoes!!
    Anybody know, or have any experience with this? Thanks!

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    it could make em hot.
    I have seen Jal Peppers planted in a mix of banana and bell peppers. All came out hot.
    not sure bout planting next to tomatoes but if they did come up with a bite to em, I would love that..I put Tabasco sauce on my tomatoes away. And hot tomatoes would make for a good chili. :tounge_out:
    We be caning/freezing stuff making jelly etc and tomatoes is next on our list.

3. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    are you asking if you would get Tomeppers of Peppatoes?

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard stories of tomatoes picking up some heat from jalapenos planted right next to them, but I've never seen it first hand.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No, but if they could the results would show up in the seed from the fruit, to grow the next generation, not this years.:wink:

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    When I garden my rows are usually 120 feet long or so and I always plant 1/2 row of straight neck yellow squash and 1/2 row of cucumbers. Those two will cross pollinate and it has always shown up in the squash plants by my experience. The cucumber trait doesnt take over the squash but rather you'll have a greenish odd looking squash pop out here and there once in a while.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    My grandma who's garden was a show place planted peppers close to her tomatoes and the never crossed and I did it my self for many years and never had them cross up so I don't think they can.

8. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Raised a lot of tomato's and peppers close to gather and have never had it happen as i can remember.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Same here!

Mark, you also have to watch out for cucumbers and melons. They are closely related. I plant "Armenian Yard Long Cucumbers" which are actually a melon, not a cucumber, but you wouldn't know the difference by appearance or taste.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark I have planted rows of tomato plants side by side for years and never had a cross. Some were hot peppers. I have had peppers to cross.:lol::big_smile:

11. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Peppers can cross pollinate with each other but not tomatoes and peppers. Genetically it is impossible.

If those scientists would quit cloning sheep and find a way to cross these two then we could have fresh rotel in the garden!

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks guys for all the comments & help! And wouldn't that be cool???Rotel tomatoes!! My husband would definitely love that!!

13. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Only way i see it happen it the tomato's and pepper are close enough to rub on another than you possible could get a hot tomato lol

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i had over 100 tom. plants last year and bannana pep, haberneros, jalas planted all together, never saw or tasted anything weird...but who knows! lol. im still waiting for a flathead and pirhanna to cross breed, that would take care of the noodlers!!!!!!!:lol:..rollo