Tomato row PVC waterer question?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by shooter, Feb 11, 2008.

1. shooter

shooter New Member

State:
    ks
    I was thinking about running pvc pipe with drilled holes along in or ontop of tomatoe rows/I have them on 16 foot cattle panels/I was hoping to water a 16 foot row all at once with little effort other than sticking the water hose in pvc/anyone try this?/do I run under ground or can I run on top and let trickle for an hour or 2/ my cousin says you shouldnt get foliage wet and this has got to be a better way than a sprinkler watering everything for hours/I wonder if you could run fertilizer through it? ANYONE PLEASE ADVISE/Shooter ,Lawrence,Ks. PS /I posted a picture of a white spotted deer on the hog site.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ned,I water mine by filling up the trench iIdug around each plant,,or use a soaker hose . The way you describe it ,it should work well.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Soaker hose works great.

4. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Ned ,
    I set my small yard garden up with automatic watering system. that I picked up at home depot. you can purchase a timer that hooks on to a water foist for around Twenty dollars, and they can be set to water every day, every other day or every third day, from ten minutes to an hour. and they have small rolls of 1/4 hose about the size of a pencil, they also have several deferent kinds of sprinklers. this worked great for me because then I didn't have to stay home and water, I could go fishing we even went on a three week vacation and it watered all of the wife's plants while we were gone. and it saves on the water bill by not wasting water,and it didn't cost all that much.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've been thinking about hooking up some pvc pipe to the washing machine to water plants & newly planted trees. :0a36:

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ned it sounds like a good idea

7. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I grow tomatoes and cucumbers in 1/2 barrels. I run pvc pipe along the top of the barrels with small holes drilled where the barrels are. Works great with a timer. When i grew tomatoes in rows I used the same setup but ran plastic along the ground, with a hole drilled at the base of each tomato plant.

8. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have had really good luck using a drip system I got at Home Depot. Look into it. It dosen't have to be expensive, its easy to do and it saves water. I have my whole garden on a drip system. Best part is you only water the plants your growing and not the weeds in between. It cut my weeding down by 90 percent.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Are you serious? You obviously don't have the oil an grease to get out of your clothes, that I have. Nor the high industrial strength detergent it takes either.

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Years ago, my aunt had her washer hooked to a hose, out to the yard. NO JOKE that grass wass the greenest/tallest/best in the whole yard, where that hose ran.

If My house didn't have a lane between it and the garden, I would give it a go. Cars/trucks/tractors would kill a hose.