tomato problem

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by wylie catter, Jun 15, 2009.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My tomatos are still green but somethings happening to them. The bottoms are turning black and mushy. They're rotting from the bottom up. It starts in the center of the tomato. It eats the middle out.

Is this some kinda fungus?

Thanks

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    May be blossom end rot. Did you use a high nitrogen fertilizer? If I recall correctly, too much nitrogen prevents tomatoes from absorbing other essential minerals (calcium maybe?).

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    That sounds llike bloom end rot, They have a spray for that.

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Bottom rot from to much water ?

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like blossom end rot to me as well. I fortunately have never had that problem,The blooms have to make maters first:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2: I can grow beautiful plants,But I must be getting hormonally inbalanced plants,Cause except for the cherry tomatos,I hardly ever get any [tomatoes ] that is.

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've grown tomatoes in the past that suffered from blossom end rot. I think it is from a lack of calcium, but I'm not 100% sure right now without looking it up. I balanced my soil good this year with pelleted lime and beefed it up with 10-10-10 generously. Best looking tomatoes in a while. Hopefully no more blossom end rot.:big_smile:

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ok, quick question....not to take away from this thread. What do I use again to get rid of tomato horn worms?? (Sorry %#@$!!! critters!) I've picked 2 big ones off in the past 2 days. Any help is appreciated!

8. ridgerunner

ridgerunner Guest

How about Seven dust?

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Blossom end rot/bottom end rot, can be caused by several deficiencies, but from experience, I find the most common cause is irregular watering/too much water.

10. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    I agree with Kutter irregular / to much water will do that to tomatoes.
    Reload, to much nitrogen will make an awesome looking tomato plant but it will be all leaves and vines and no fruit! why, I dunno just the way it is,:confused2: Seven will get those dang horney worms for sure.
    larry

11. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Too much water could definetly be it. It's been like a rain forest around here this spring. Most evenings it comes a shower or a storm. Garden has been muddy most of the spring.

But I'll look for some spray for bottom end rot.
    I fertalized real good with several hundred pounds of manure/compost and then used 17-17-17 under all of my plants and a little around the top on the soil. And I Miracle Grow about every 2 weeks.

These are the best tomatos Ive ever grew if they dont rot away. Most of my plants are around 5' tall already and have between 12 and 20 tomatos on each one.

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Those "horny" worms are excellent catfish bait:tounge_out: Just check every morning & pull them off:wink: as for the bottom-black-rot that stuff is deadly:eek:oooh: iv'e heard it's caused by several things acid,ph,fungus,too much water, nitrogen too high, anyone finds a sure-fire cure please post it:tounge_out: so far mine dont have it!!! There 4ft & loaded!!!

13. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There are several of reasons for blossom end rot..The main culprit is calcium deficiency..Over watering also causes this problem and too much salt..Make sure your garden is well drained and avoid using fertilizer with high nitrogen content and avoid using large quantities of manure..As for hornworms the best way to take care of those suckers is to just pluck em off.If you don't mind using pesticides then use anything that contains methoxychlor or use the bacterial insecticide bacillus thuringiensis..

14. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    How do you add calcium?

15. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    my two cents...i would not add anything until you test the soil first. get your ph between 6 and 7 perferably 6.5. make sure your plants are well drained. use fertilizers with low nitrogen and higher phosphates. mulch the plant with straw or grass clippings and don't hoe too close to the plant or the feeder roots will be damaged. my plants are over 5 ft tall and loaded like grapes. how this helps...good luck.

16. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Magnesium sulfate(Epsom Salt) will prevent this deaded disease. I put about a tablespoon in the hole when i plant, and occasionally sprinkle some on ground and work in. It helps

17. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I agree with country hart for this and too much water does the botton rot too. When ya are checking the soil which is a have to at this point if ya really want to eat a mator or two then make sure the lime content is cool. I always had to add that stuff every year due to our gravel pit hill

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Most ground needs lime worse than it does fertlizer. If sage grass grows, it needs lime.

19. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like John said, most places need lime more than fertilizer. Add some Dawn liquid detergent to some water in a spray bottle spray your plants and the bugs/worms won't touch them. From my experience. Around here agri centers run by the state will test your soil for free if you take them a sample.

20. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks, I sure will be giving it a try. I knew Dawn w/water works real good on killing wasps!