Tomato predicament

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Redd, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Well, everybody....I have a predicament. I planted too many tomato plants in the garden this year and they're crawling out my ears...I give 'em away to anyone I know'll use them, but there's so many they end up goin' to waste. Does anyone know any good tomatoe recipes that ain't too hard to make? Got BIG ones, and little ones. Thanks for everybody's help.

-Red

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Red,

I wish I had your problem, Hopefully later on I can join this problem group :embarassed:

3. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Have you tried canning? If you were in Indiana ,I would be there to get ever one you have. aint nothing like canned tomatos in the dead of winter

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Can them or freeze them Redd. You can do crushed, diced, chopped, or juice either way.

I freeze Roma tomatoes whole then when making pasta or some other dish that calls for them I just run warm water over them and slip the skins right off and chop them up. They taste just like fresh tomatoes.

We would probably have way too many too but my 3 of my 4 Labradors steal every one off the vines they can reach! LOL

5. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Hi, Red. Vern raises ALOT of tomato plants. He usually makes tomato juice(canned). It's nice to have during the winter for chili, etc. That's pretty much the only way that I can eat tomatoes--I'm allergic:confused2: .

If you have room in the freezer, a friend once told me to wash them and freeze them whole in freezer baggies. Then when I needed one, thaw it out and remove the peel. She said it works good.

If i get more recipes, I'll let ya know.

6. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    My wife and I just got done canning some tonite its not to hard boil some water drop them in let them boil for about 5 min then drop in some cold water the peal comes off easy after you peal them cook them to a boil then put them in jars heat your flat in hot water put a little salt in bottom of jar fill with tomatos put lids on and they will seal there self Good luck

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Ersel was talking about making ketchup a while back. you could pm him for a recipe.

8. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    There are a couple of different kinds of packaged products you can use that work good. My husband bought spaghetti sauce mix & salsa mix, & they both turned out real good. They come in little packages, kind of like chili mix, or the spaghetti sauce mix that you have to add tomato sauce to. But with this, you cook down your tomatoes, add this packaged mix, & can them. You can use up a lot of tomatoes this way. He bought his at a local chain/warehouse/superstore..you know? Good luck.

9. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    :sweat: Its HOT Sauce Time!:sweat: Every fall I can enough to last me through till next canning season. That equals about.........well give or take............:confused2:......................Now I do give some away..............:eek:oooh::roll_eyes:
    about...........lets see there are 12 pints to a box and I count 8 boxes left but there are 4 boxes with emptys, that equals :tounge_out: 144 pints of sweet sweat:big_smile:.
    Why would you wast tomato's on anything but hot sauce?:confused2:
    You need some GOOD HOT PEPPERS though, I thinks I know someone who might be able to help you out with some seed:roll_eyes::big_smile:

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Well Shoot, don't just talk about making it...............share your recipe!!!

I started canning last year and might as well make some hot sauce while I'm making juice.............I love a good red beer:smile2: .

11. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    :roll_eyes: How much do you want to make, a few or a lot? How hot do you want it?:big_smile:

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Probably start with a small batch(4 or 5 pints) to see if I even like it. Jalapeno's will be the heat source, but I'll adjust as needed. Any tomatoe preference, I use a lot of Roma's for juice and salsa.