Tomalex

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Rob S, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys,

Just wondering how many of you have fished this lake? I consider it my home lake, and everytime I go I usually find myself fishing for bass and crappie, never put out a drift rig for cats but I know it's been there a pretty long time. Might go Saturday and give it a shot with some livers, heard they have some pretty decent hybrids there as well. Here is a picture of it's location.

Attached Files:

2. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Never heard of it before. Let us know how you do, it is within decent driving distance for me. May check it out one day on down the road.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    There's plenty of cats in there, it's just not a place to catch any big ones. The biggest one I've heard of was about 12lbs. I've caught them up to about 5lbs. I'd give it a try, like I said there is a ton of cats in there just not a lot of big ones and there is usually a ton of shad in the bubble line if you're up for cast netting some.

4. Jap

Jap New Member

State:
    NC
    Ive fished there about a handful of time the last couple of months, very quite alot places to fish from the bank. Three piers docks and a boat launcher dock. Clean water as there are trash bags close to any bank spot. There are Hybrids,Flatties,Blues,Channels,Crappie, N Largemouth. As for bait the Shad are plentful and there are fresh water bluecrabs in the grassbeds. Its two dollars to fish and six to launch a boat,yak,canoe.. Goodluck!

5. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Rob, I fish Thom-A-Lex quite a bit. It is a great place to fish if you want to catch a bunch of cats, but not if you're looking for monster fish. There are plenty of channels, blues and bullheads. There are a few flatheads in the lake but not many. I have fished all 4 of the catfish tournaments that have been held there and there hasn't been a single flathead weighed in. I have had very little success with cut/live bait there. I've had no luck at all with dip bait or prepared baits. I've caught bunches of cats using livers, and a few on worms and crappie minnows. Good luck.