tomahak throwing

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by South Grand Laker, Sep 4, 2008.

1. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    wasn't quite sure where to put this, i use to throw the ax's when i was younger i searched web to look at the stands, wondering if anybody knew of a standard print for the stands, if not ill just build one to what i can remember they looked like, thanks alot.....

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Contact someone in your area that does logging or timber work and have them to cut you a section out of a tree and then build a stand behind it out of 2x4s.What type of hawk or ax due you throw?

3. battman1

battman1 New Member

State:
    Mo.
    Might check with some of the traditional black powder folks.

4. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Tony good comment. I've belonged to black powder clubs in the past and throwing the tomahawk and using a flint and steal to start a fire was used at all randaviews (sp).

5. battman1

battman1 New Member

State:
    Mo.
    Been meesing around with it myself the last year or so.

6. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    A good hawk holding guideline is. Close your fist on your throwing hand and measure the distance from the fist to the elbow. Measure the handle of the hawk the same and hold the hawk at that distance. You may have some handle sticking pass your holding point. Good luck and I hope this will help.

7. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    The standard stands built out of 2x4's always ended up being too flimsy for me. I've got one 24" diameter target hung on a 4x12 discarded bridge timber that I burried 2 foot in the ground with a 2X4 brace behind it. I've got a larger 30" target suspended between two pine trees that are about 5 feet apart. I drilled a hole through the top edge of the target, deep enough so the blade will never reach it. Then I threaded a rope through the hole to tie off on both trees at the desired height. Run the rope through a small piece of 1/2" pvc between the target and the trees. This will prevent your rope from being cut and will not damage your hawk. If the target swings too much you can nail a 2x4 between the trees so the the bottom back of the target rests against it.