Tom Bigbee Waterway

Discussion in 'MISSISSIPPI RIVERS TALK' started by jwz4, Apr 12, 2009.

1. jwz4

jwz4 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Does anybody here do any pole fishing near the Columbus pool of the Tenn Tom? I have always run jugs but would reeling like to get into pole fishing for them. If so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I fished the mouth of hwy 50 slew last Thursday night while my jugs were soaking and caught a 4.5 lb channel cat while pole fishing but nothing else.
    Thanks for any help.

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    John, I have fished the Tom Bigbee several times and have done pretty good on rod and reel. I haven't ever fished that far down stream though. I mostly fished up around Bay Springs and around Burnsville. Try using large bream for bait on a 10/0 or 12/0 hook. Hook the bream through the eyes and scrape a few scales off one side but not too many, you don't want to kill the bream.

This time of year the cats are headed upstream so if there is a dam near you, fish the down stream side and you should tear them up about now.

3. jwz4

jwz4 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Jim,

What kind of rigging do you recommend for fishing below dams? And what places should I look anchor the boat and fish? I know you can't get to close to the bottom of the dam because they have it marked off with rope and and floats.

4. jwz4

jwz4 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
  5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    John, I'm sorry I haven't gotten back with you until now, we are at a gathering here in Chattanooga and the board was down before we left to go out there.

We usually don't anchor down close to the dam because it is so dangerous. The water here is fast and can change quickly and that is bad news as the fast water can drag your boat under before you can cut the anchor rope. We usually drift fish. Run up as close as you dare, but for sure not on top of a boil, and drift back. Let your bait bump bottom or get some of Pete's Kat Bobbers and keep the bait close to the bottom. If you can get up to Pickwick right now the skipjack should be running wide open and make great bait. Fish with the biggest bait you can as the bigger the bait the bigger the fish. A small fish usually won't try to hit an eating size bream.

Most of our reels are Penn bait casters and we spool with at least 50 pound test line. Wally World has the cat ugly sticks and are great. We have never had one bust on us yet and we have had some big ole boys on the line. Pete of Wildwolf Products here on the board sells some great hooks and the big kind that will hold a big bait and them sucker are some kinda sharp.

I like the 10/0 Kahle hooks for big cats as you don't have to set the hook, just let the fish load up your rod heavy and reel him in.

Those are some good liooking fish you caught there buddy, that flathead especially will be some fine eating.

6. jwz4

jwz4 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
  7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Man you are tearing them up! Congratulations on them fine fish.

I am glad I could help some.

Jim

8. jwz4

jwz4 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I know its been a while but, I've been catching some good one on the tenntom here lately. Here are a few pictures from yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. pounders1

pounders1 New Member

State:
    Columbus, MS
    Nice fish you got.. What kind of rig are you using (set up)? what kind of bait? what depth do you usually fish and what size fish are you trying to target?